Laboratory Assistant I
8AM - 5PM
$32,652 - $37,836
UC Riverside Plant Pathology & Microbiology Department is seeking a Laboratory Assistant I assisting with the collection of data for disease monitoring purposes, collecting plant material, isolating tissues and identifying potential pathogens, and maintaining culture collections recovered from field specimens.. UCR is the premier research University in Inland Southern California and we are seeking the best to join us. The Department of Plant Pathology & Microbiology at UC Riverside has one of the most modern research facilities worldwide. UCR gives every employee the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. The department administrative staff is committed to service excellence, honesty, integrity and an optimal work environment. Within this exciting environment, rich with growth opportunities, you will perform duties to include laboratory, greenhouse and Lat -house duties, collecting data from field, and monitoring greenhouse and Lat -house experiments. This position requires driving so one will need to have a valid California Driver's License and will be added to the University DMV pull list for validation.
Demonstrated basic computer skills.
Experience with basic laboratory techniques and preparation of laboratory solutions and reagents.
Demonstrated capability with making isolations, subculturing fungi to do so for long periods of time.
Strong organizational, verbal and communication skills.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Ability to follow detailed instruction.
Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and one (1) year of laboratory experience or two (2) years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
Bachelor's Degree in Plant Sciences, Microbiology or other related fields of study preferred.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview