Skilled HVAC Mechanic
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
- Perform routine preventative maintenance and repairs on heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems, pneumatic and digital controls, hot and chilled water distribution, variable volume systems, chillers, boilers, motors, pumps, air handling units, roof top units.
- Remodel, construct, renovate and renew areas of campus buildings providing expert knowledge to produce most efficient technical results.
- Assist in the completion of new construction and design, specify, install and maintain equipment to produce desired end results.
- Assist in instructing and training unskilled employees in safe, effective methods of performing task in the assigned maintenance function.
- In collaboration with HVAC Chief, determine and evaluate safe and most economical solution of specific maintenance problems.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
- Perform snow removal and perform special work assignments or clean ups as directed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Journeyman with 5 year experience in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning.
- Ability to perform routine preventative maintenance and repairs on heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems, pneumatic and digital controls, hot and chilled water distribution, variable volume systems, chillers, boilers, motors, pumps, air handling units, roof top units.
- Ability to operate building automation system, pneumatic and digital controls, variable frequency drive controls.
- Ability to examine, troubleshoot, detect and diagnose defective HVAC equipment, hardware or materials.
- Ability to perform major component replacement and evaluation of complex system problems under leadership of HVAC Chief.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow mechanical blueprints, schematics, specifications and other technical documents related to the installation, maintenance, repair of HVAC systems.
- Ability to troubleshoot fire alarm and fire suppression systems.
- Ability to weld, solder, braze and connect supply lines, air ducts and vents, refrigeration piping and pumps.
- Ability to react quickly and to analyze known data or symptoms of a problem and arrive at a logical solution.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to document and track preventative maintenance activities.
- Ability to troubleshoot elevators and lifts is a plus.
SALARY: $46,982 annually
HOURS: Sunday, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm /Monday - Thursday 10:30 am - 7:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.