Social Science Research Professional
Social Science Research Professional
Job Number: 75658
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Division of Public Mental Health and Population Sciences, is seeking a Social Science Research Professional 1 to perform work to support implementation science research in the area of co-occurring psychiatric and substance abuse disorders impacting the integration of behavioral health services in primary care. Research in this portfolio includes: translating evidence-based therapies for co-occurring disorders into routine clinical settings; optimization of services for behavioral mental health in integrated service organizations; and, the intersection of health policy, clinical practice, treatment outcomes, and health economics Duties include:
- Plan and perform research tasks of limited complexity requiring initiative and judgment in applying basic knowledge and understanding of scientific theory when precedents do not provide specific guidance; general instruction is provided by the supervisor.
- Extract data and structured information from published literature and other sources.
- Administer questionnaires and rating scales requiring judgment in applying non-routine scoring procedures.
- Conduct literature searches, and write literature summaries, requiring preliminary judgments after conceptual approach is outlined by the supervisor. Build and organize data as requested by principal investigator or faculty; use common statistical programs, requiring the application of job control language in generating and organizing data.
- Adapt new, nonstandard methods outlined by supervisor (principal investigator or faculty).
- Assist in designing and evaluating phases of research projects, seeking guidance where necessary, and auditing the accuracy and validity of data entered in databases.
- Present research finding to internal audiences, including peers, co-workers, and managers.
- Help orient and train new staff or students as needed.
- Assist with development and design of outreach materials and tools for recruitment, educational, or awareness programs with guidance from supervisor.
- Masters in an applicable social science, public health, or related field
- Relevant social science research experience beyond degree
- Experience using statistical software such as SPSS or STATA
- Experience with basic statistics with advanced statistics highly desired
- Background in mental health, substance abuse disorders, co-occurring disorders, and primary care and behavioral health integration
- Background in implementation research
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED): Bachelor of Arts degree in an applicable social science related field, or combination of education and relevant experience in an applicable social science.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weight up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, writing by hand, and soft/file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat, kneel/crawl, rarely reach/work above shoulders, operate foot and/or hand controls.
- May be exposed to blood borne pathogens.
- May be required to work non-standard, extended or weekend hours in support of research work.
Location: School of Medicine
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.