Academic Laboratories and Field Facilities Animal Care Specialist - PSS4, Part Time, 75% 12 Months
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Academic Science Laboratories & Field Facilities, the NAMS Laboratory Animal Care Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Must be able to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and holidays;
- Must have organizational and computer skills
- Duties involve basic care of laboratory animals’ daily feeding/watering and assistance in keeping the animals free of disease and injury;
- Cleaning/disinfecting of environmental holdings and facilities;
- Adherence to established animal care/facilities protocols;
- Unpack/transport animals and lift associated materials up to 50+ pounds as required by duties;
- Help with maintenance of preserved specimens throughout NAMS Labs and Field Stations;
- Gather information in support of obtaining required State and Federal permits;
- Assist faculty with setup and breakdown of laboratory/classroom animal demonstrations as needed;
- Ability to communicate and work well with laboratory staff, faculty and students
- Provide supervision of student workers;
- Support and enforce Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) policies and procedures.
- Assist with preparation and reviewing of IACUC Protocols.
- Support and enforce all state and federal regulations, OSHA Laboratory Standards, and all pertinent safety regulations in accordance with the Chemical Hygiene and Exposure Control Plans.
- Conduct approved guided tours of F-Wing laboratory facility;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Academic Science Labs & Field Facilities, the Assistant Director of Academic Science Labs & Field Facilities, the Dean of the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, and/or the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Demonstrate, through past accomplishments and actions, the ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- B.S. Biology or related field
- one (1) year of professional experience in education, higher education, or other field related to the functions of the position would be a plus.
- Veterinary Technician Certification recommended.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using; Word, PDF or Videos either as one single file or as individual attachments.
- A letter of interest describing specific skills and experiences
- A current resume
- A list of 3 references (included in the application): Name, Company, Email address and Phone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at www.stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.