Technical Project Manager
Technical Project Manager
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Information Technology collaborates with the WPI community to meet academic, research, campus life, and administrative needs for technology and access on a global scale! IT promotes innovation to deliver an advanced technology infrastructure, security and access management, integrated data systems, user-centric support services, as well as a robust IT governance process. Join our team as a member of Information Technology to be a part of our success and help us enable a great school for another one-hundred fifty years of success!
We are seeking a Technical Project Manager to manage and/or assist in managing multiple projects initiated from all business functional areas at WPI. This role will involve contributing to the enhancement of the Program Management Office (PMO) and its offerings as part of a new and growing team.
The successful candidate will guide project teams through good project management processes and practices from project pre-inception through closure with effective transition to support. The ideal individual will successfully manage coordinated, integrated releases of functionality as necessary, provide project and program management support for high-risk/high-visibility initiatives as well as build enduring and effective relationships with all stakeholders and help position WPI to execute programs that support the strategic plan goals.
Founded in 1865, Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is one of the nation's first engineering and technology universities to innovate and convey the latest science and engineering knowledge in ways that are most beneficial to society. WPI has a lot to offer such as extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty members at the top of their fields, state-of-the-art research facilities, and a diverse community teeming with activity. At WPI, we strive to provide very competitive and comprehensive benefits ranging from health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life and much more. If you are ambitious, you want to be challenged, you want to succeed, you are excited to make a difference in the world and help develop the next generation of leaders, and you know where you want to go, then WPI can help you get there!
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Support the movement of new and changed projects through IT and master program governance
• Provide decision support management including change and risks management
• Contribute to the growing body of WPI Program Management Organization knowledge including tools and practices that can be used by functional area project managers
• Identify, document, assess, and mitigate program or program environment risks including but not limited to: budget, personnel, training, and competing priorities including other efforts in the portfolio
• Develop and execute communication plans in partnership with other internal communicators in order to properly engage all stakeholders
• Exercise good project management practices and processes in support of consistent project outcomes. Employ the right level of process control at the right time (just-right project management)
• Strong, working knowledge of standard and advanced project management practices
• Strong, working understanding of standard higher education business practices
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and modify approaches based on input from all constituents
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and effectively
• Ability to transform high-level and incomplete information into structured business and IT action plans
• Ability to work with a large, diverse team across a matrixed organization
• Experience in justifying and initiating projects and programs (includes budgeting, and timeline development)
• Exquisite, effective verbal and written communication skills
• Experience implementing and/or integrating Enterprise Resource Planning applications
• Experience working with c-level management preferred
• PMP certification preferred
• Demonstrated experience in giving back to the profession of Project Management preferred
Posting Date: 06/30/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4818
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.