Campus Police Officer- Sergeant
The Campus Police Officer is responsible for ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors, responding to emergencies, and protecting campus property. The position requires the ability to work shifts as scheduled, including weekends.
1. Ensures the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors, responds to emergencies, and protects campus property.
2. Patrols campus including classrooms, residence halls, and other facilities, by car, by bicycle or by foot, as assigned.
3. Supervises Campus Security Officers and makes assignments and schedules, as directed.
4. Provides assistance for emergencies such as medical, bomb threats and fire; gives emergency first aid; calls appropriate agency and College personnel for assistance.
5. Handles complaints of a sensitive nature.
6. Conducts interviews and investigations concerning complaints, accidents, violations of student conduct codes or calls for assistance to record information on thefts, physical violence and other incidents; advises individuals on how to proceed.
7. Writes clear and concise incident reports, and crime reports if necessary.
8. Assist in training of students and faculty in security and safety procedures as well as security awareness.
9. Performs the duties of a security officer when necessary to include security patrols, reporting malfunctions of fire alarm systems, fire hazards, unsecured facilities and other safety hazards.
1. Must be PA Act 120 certified and complete annual updates.
2. Must be able to pass criminal background check.
4. Must have clean driving record and be legally permitted to drive in the state of PA (a current Pennsylvania driver’s license is preferred).
5. Must have a minimum of three years police experience, college or campus setting preferred.
6. Excellent interpersonal skills and self-awareness in order to control stressful and emotional situations and to detain or subdue potentially dangerous individuals; must also convey a positive, pleasant and helpful attitude as a representative of the College.
7. High school graduation or the equivalent is required. Post-secondary education or training related to public safety is preferred
8. Current first aid/CPR card preferred
9. Must be able to make rapid and accurate decisions during emergency situations
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
2. Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift
3. Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
4. Run as needed
5. Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination
6. Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat;
7. Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
8. Ability to pass physical examination by a certified physician.
Applicants should email (please type: Campus Police Officer in the subject line) their resume, cover letter, references and salary requirements to: email@example.com Official transcripts required upon hire.
SALARY REQUIREMENTS MUST BE SENT TO BE CONSIDERED.
Washington & Jefferson College (W&J) is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, W&J College complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, gender identity, or national origin.