Culinary Arts (Kitchen Aide), Instructional Aide B, Full-Time
Community College of Philadelphia
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
Under general supervision, the Instructional Aide provides administrative, clerical, and technical support to the Culinary Arts area. Duties and responsibilities primarily consist of assisting with all aspects of kitchen lab management, sanitation of labs, inventory management, ordering and receiving food supplies, and maintaining the annual program budget.
• Procures food, equipment and preventative maintenance contracts from approved vendors.
• Opens kitchens, assembles supplies and sets up apparatus used in class demonstrations.
• Conducts periodic inventory by count and cost and ensures stock rotation (FIFO).
• Costs out menus and recipes.
• Orders, receives, inspects and stores food supplies and linens.
• Schedules and oversees the use of one or more instructional culinary arts laboratories by students, faculty, and staff.
• Assists instructors by demonstrating proper and safe use and operation of a variety of equipment and tools, and orients students to established policies within the instructional laboratory.
• Assists in demonstrations of food production techniques, artistic buffet presentations, salad preparation, sauces, baking, and hot and cold entrees.
• Prepares repair work orders as needed.
• Monitors walk in refrigerators, reach in refrigerators and freezer temperatures.
• Maintains and schedules maintenance for all kitchen lab equipment.
• Maintains binders for syllabi, safety procedures and equipment manuals.
• Provides assistance to students and instructors in the preparation of food for catering events.
• Keeps storerooms and work areas orderly and clean.
• Closes kitchen, inspects for cleanliness, and ensures lab carts, kitchen equipment and supplies are stored away.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• Wears appropriate uniforms and shoes.
• Maintains a professional demeanor at all times.
• Associate Degree or its equivalent, from a recognized college or university with a major in Culinary Arts, Food Production or Hospitality Management.
• Current ServSafe Certification required.
• Culinary arts skills and knowledge of kitchen equipment.
• Previous work experience involving budgeting.
• Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Demonstrated professionalism and excellent customer service skills.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proofreading and editing.
• Ability to meet deadlines with changing priorities.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to plan work methodically with attention to detail.
• Ability to work extended hours and an occasional weekends as needed.
• Bachelor's Degree or its equivalent, from a recognized college or university with a major in Culinary Arts, Food Production or Hospitality Management.
• Previous experience using online vendor order system and POS system.
• Commercial food production design and presentation techniques.
• Previous work experience involving the catering sales process preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) professional references REQUIRED.
Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made.
EOE. Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities