Salary: $62,604 - $77,820
Title: Physician Coder
Department: Clinical Affairs
Date Posted: 07/13/2017
Position Information: UCR Health is a team of physicians, specialists and healthcare professionals dedicated to improving the health of Inland Southern California residents and families by bringing health home to our communities.
Established alongside the School of Medicine at the University of California, Riverside, UCR Health is growing to meet the healthcare needs of the region - bringing innovative, culturally sensitive medical care to our communities. Our patient-centered primary care and specialty services deliver university-based healthcare excellence and innovation to the communities where we live, work and play. To learn more about UCR Health, please visit: www.ucrhealth.org.
The Physician Coder will contribute to our growth and success in meeting our mission by reviewing, analyzing and assuring the final diagnoses and procedures as stated by the practicing providers are valid and complete. This position serves as the technical expert and resource for the school and clinical enterprise. Accurately codes for both the inpatient and outpatient environments to include physician office visits, in-office procedures, and/or surgeries/procedures performed at affiliate hospitals to ensure proper reimbursement. Provides education to the providers to ensure proper completion of electronic health records and proper assignment of ICD-9 CDM and ICD-10 CDM, HCPCS and CPT codes. All delivered in a patient centric environment.
Minimum Requirements: 1. Current certification as a Professional Coder from the AAPC; ability to provide current documentation from appropriate agency.
2. A minimum of 1.5 years' experience of CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS coding and charge capture.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of medical diagnostic and procedural terminology.
4. Comprehensive knowledge of federal, state and third-party-payer coding and documentation guidelines.
5. Demonstrated skill/experience working with computerized reports to abstract information.
6. Ability to interact in a professional and diplomatic manner with difficult and/or emotionally charged people.
7. Demonstrated ability to work independently with only general supervision.
8. Working knowledge of Microsoft software applications.
9. Organizational skills to prioritize workload and meet deadlines; develop and carry out project assignment in an efficient and timely manner.
10. Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with tact and diplomacy with administration, physicians, and staff at all levels. Ability to generate error-free documents and correspondence.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. An additional 3 years of advanced experience and knowledge of CPT, ICD-10 and HCPCS inpatient/outpatient coding with a Neurosurgery, Women's Health (OB, Uro-Gyn, Gyn-Onc), Orthopedics focus.
2. Experience with M.D. Audit.
3. Experience working in healthcare in an academic setting.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview