Lab Assistant 2
8AM - 5PM
$36,096 - $42,516
UC Riverside Botany and Plant Sciences Department is seeking a Laboratory Assistant I to assist with various molecular biological projects on rice molecular genetics, developmental biology, and abiotic stress resilience. Roles will involve all aspects of gene design, construction, plant transformation, cultivation, manipulation as well as biochemical and gene expression analyses. UCR is the premier research University in Inland Southern California and we are seeking the best to join us. UCR gives every employee the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. The department administrative staff is committed to Service Excellence, Honesty, Integrity and Optimal work environment.
Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in genetics, molecular biology, protein biochemistry and statistics and one year of laboratory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position:
(1) Experience in molecular cloning including plasmid isolation, restriction enzyme analysis, and gene construction (minimum requirement is training in a lab course).
(2) Experience in DNA sequence analysis using sequences provided from a sequencing facility and DNA analysis software packages(minimum requirement is training in a lab course).
(3) Experience with sterile culturing of cells and experience cultivating plants. (minimum requirement is training in a lab course).
Ability to communicate effectively to provide supervisor updates on progress, problems and potential problems.
Under general supervision, ability to work independently but also work well with others when needed.
Ability to follow written and oral directions. Maintenance of a safe and secure working environment.
Must be reliable, dependable and conscientious.
Ability to maintain a meticulous record of laboratory methods and observations, maintain a laboratory notebook and utilize reference material.
Demonstrated knowledge of common computer operating systems and software such as MS Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as Adobe Acrobat.
Upper division or graduate level coursework in genetics, molecular biology, protein biochemistry and statistics.
Experience in Gene construction. Experience in DNA primer design, ordering and use for generation of recombinant genes from cDNA clones or mRNA preparations as starting material.
Knowledge of GATEWAY vector cloning systems.
Experience in plant transformation, specifically rice or Arabidopsis transformation with Agrobacterium. Knowledge of bacterial transformation and culturing methods.
Experience in protein biochemistry, specifically protein complex purification, protein gel electrophoresis, western blot analysis, immunoprecipitation, affinity chromatography.
Experience with plant tissue culture. Experience in growing plants in controlled growth environments, preferably in the cultivation of rice or other grass in a greenhouse. Experience in plant growth phenotype analysis.
Experience with use of bioinformatic tools for analysis of DNA, RNA and protein.
General experience in lab management, ordering of supplies, shipment of packages, organization of lab records, supplies and reagents.
Bachelor's Degree in Botany, Biochemistry or Cell/Molecular Biology
Knowledge of rice, protein biochemistry, gene expression and bioinformatic analyses.
Understand sufficient molecular biology and bioinformatics to perform analysis of data in R.
Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel; Familiarity with running programs in a terminal with command lines
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview