Career Counselor and Internship Program Coordinator
8AM - 5PM
$48,800 - $72,500
As the only UC campus to offer a public policy major, and with a Master of Public Policy recently launched in Fall 2015, the UCR School of Public Policy is training a new generation of forward-thinking policy leaders equipped to address the complex, interrelated challenges of poverty, disease, climate change, pollution and more. The UCR School of Public Policy is the latest addition to the UC Riverside academic enterprise. It is projected to grow over the next few years to include over 110 Master of Public Policy students, with anticipated development of an undergraduate major in the future. Reporting to the Assistant Dean/Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, the Career Counselor and Internship Program Coordinator is responsible for planning and organizing undergraduate and graduate career services and internship activities for the School of Public Policy. This responsibility includes working with the SPP Student Affairs and Academic Advising team to develop job search and career building tools and strategies for students, as well as working with the business community to develop internship and employment opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Using the latest trends in academic advising, this position will provide high-caliber academic and programmatic support to School of Public Policy prospective and continuing graduate students in attaining educational and career goals. Working with the Student Affairs and Academic Advising team, this position is responsible for recruiting high achieving prospective students using the latest trends in student recruitment.
Ability to design and modify computer applications to meet program needs, problem identification, presentation skills, verbal communication, written communication, and organization skills.
Proven ability to develop mutually beneficial partnerships with internal and external constituents. Ability to work well with diverse populations in stressful and demanding situations.
Knowledge of the applicable federal and state regulations governing areas related to the responsibilities of the position including the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
Ability to travel and work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekend days.
Ability to work with people from diverse cultures.
Experience providing effective advising to students in areas of graduate education, student development, campus resources and career/internship opportunities.
Thorough knowledge of needs assessment theory, processes, and practice; workshop and program design.
Strong knowledge of career development theories, adult development theory, counseling process, career coaching techniques, career decision making, learning styles, and job search techniques.
Knowledge of the applicable University of California policies and procedures governing areas related to the responsibilities of the position.
Knowledge of UC programs, career services, employer, alumni, and faculty needs and expectations, recruiting and staffing methods, and employment trends.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview