Assistant Dean of Students (Student Conduct)
Position Title: Assistant Dean of Students (Student Conduct)
Department: Dean of Students - 40100
Vacancy Number: E183
Position Number: 1447
Location of Workplace: Main UNCW Campus
Summary of Position:
This position reports directly to the Associate Dean of Students and will supervise one administrative assistant and eight Residence Coordinators in their roles as administrative hearing officers. This position serves as an administrative hearing officer; assists in the selection, training and supervision of the Campus Conduct Board and Student Academic Honor Board; represents the Office of the Dean of Students on division and university-wide committees; creates web-based publications to educate faculty, staff, students, and constituents about university policy and the Code of Student Life; provides outreach to the university community in the area of student conduct and community standards; and, assists the Senior Associate Dean with the publication and implementation of the Code of Student Life.
• Master’s degree in higher education administration, student development, counseling or closely related field is required.
• A minimum of four years of professional experience in a progressive student affairs environment, including direct work with the campus conduct process.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
• Must show evidence of strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent writing skills.
Experience in crisis management and emergency response
Knowledge of current legal issues and trends impacting university environments
Experience working with Maxient
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The Office of the Dean of Students is committed to advocacy and education centered on student growth and self-responsibility by serving as a central resource for UNCW students, faculty and staff. Through collaboration with the university and Wilmington community, we provide assistance to members of the UNCW community by:
– Educating students about their rights and responsibilities as members of our community;
– Assisting students, faculty and staff with interpretation of campus policies, including the Code of Student Life and the Student Academic Honor Code;
– Training and educating faculty, staff and students on community standards and conflict resolution;
– Establishing grievance and conflict resolution procedures;
– Referring students to a myriad of resources to increase the likelihood of their success;
– Assisting in the coordination of 24 hour emergency and crisis response; and
– Providing resources and education for special populations including off-campus, non-traditional and graduate students.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. A public institution with nearly 16,000 students, the university is known for its superb faculty and staff and powerful academic experience. With an array of high-quality programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and doctoral programs in marine biology, educational leadership, psychology and nursing practice. UNCW is consistently recognized at a national level for academic excellence and affordability by publications like U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and The Business Journals. UNCW also recently earned the 2015 Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, bestowed to higher education institutions dedicated to community involvement.
UNC Wilmington actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified men and women from all racial, ethnic or other minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Months Per Year: 12 Months
Position Type: Permanent
Job Posting Date: 07/12/2017
Priority Consideration Date: 08/11/2017
Priority Consideration Information:
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.