This is a Postdoc position at the Florida Industrial and Phosphate Research (FIPR) Institute.
This position is responsible for conducting research under the guidance of Dr. Patrick Zhang, FIPR’s research director in charge of beneficiation and mining. Research will focus on a DOE funded project on recovery of uranium and rare earths from phosphate, involving mineral processing and metallurgical engineering techniques.
- Conducting research on recovery of uranium and rare earths from phosphate, involving mineral processing and metallurgical engineering techniques
- Conducting chemical and mineralogical analysis of solid and liquid samples
- Conducting research on phosphate beneficiation
- Preparing research reports and technical papers for publishing
- Operating analytical instruments.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of chemistry and surface chemistry.
- Knowledge of principles of minerals processing and thermodynamics.
- Knowledge of unit operations in chemical and metallurgical engineering, mineralogy, extractive metallurgy and solid liquid separation.
- Research experience in beneficiation methods such as flotation, measurement of particle surface properties, gravity separation, leaching and pyro-metallurgical techniques, mineralogical analysis tools.
- Computer skills;
- Experience with wet chemistry and analysis methods, pre-feasibility analysis.
- Ability to design and carry out experiments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prepare quality technical reports and papers in English.
- Ability to develop processing flowsheets for recovering mineral resources and metals from both solids and liquid.
- Ability to apply interdisciplinary approaches to miner processing and extraction metallurgy.
- Ability to prepare and deliver technical presentations.
- A Ph.D in the fields of minerals processing and extractive metallurgy.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: $47,476 - $52,000 - commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled.