Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time Staff Accountant.
This position will perform accounting work in connection with keeping and auditing financial or statistical records.
Duties will include:
• Participate in the accounting operations of the Business Office.
• Responsible for the hourly payroll process, including time sheet approvals, student worker job creation, and timesheet errors/issues.
• Assist with adjunct faculty payroll, as needed.
• Oversee the SMC box office, coordinate ticket sales and other event planning activities.
• Account for all PayPal, Square, eBay, Craigslist and Amazon activity.
• Assist with processing of accounts payable, as needed.
• Perform monthly reconciliation of various bank and investment accounts, including resolution of differences.
• Assist with organizational financial analyses, as needed.
• Generate and submit quarterly Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) invoices to the State of Michigan and reconcile against the State of Michigan Receivables account.
• Assist with student accounts, including student transaction processing at the Cashier’s window and management of third party contracts, as needed.
• Assist Student Account Specialist with collection of student accounts, including management of payment plans.
• Responsible for coordinating on and off-campus mail processing and distribution.
• Reconcile bookstore purchases against student accounts including resolution of differences and process necessary payments to Follett.
• Perform administrative and support activities of the Business Office.
• Performing other duties at the direction of the Accounting Manager, Controller, Vice President and Chief Business Officer, or the College President.
• Associate’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university; or an Associate’s degree in Business and previous accounting experience.
• Knowledge of dealing with financial and numeric data.
• Knowledge of basic accounting policies and standards.
• Highly skilled in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel Spreadsheets.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Organized with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently.
• Maintain professionalism and confidentiality while performing the duties of the job.
• Experience with Banner software preferred.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
• Available periodically outside of normal business hours for special events.
Posting Number 20110579
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts