The Academic Advisor is primarily responsible for advising students onf their academic progress and the recruitment of new students.
Duties and Tasks:
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them form the position if the work is similar or related or a logical assignment to the position. Management may require incumbents to perform duties other than those contained in this document.
- Recruit new students through networking and attendance at community events.
- Represent the university/center at recruiting events and career days
- Actively seeks out networking and community events to recruit students, at minimum one small event per week and one large event per month.
- Meets with potential students and advises them on academic programs available.
- Mediates minor classroom conflict and miscommunication.
- Responsible for recruiting one new student a week
- Manages mass messaging system to remind students to get registered
- Plans and executes two information session every 8 weeks
- Conduct one-on-one student orientations at the time of registration
- Processes admissions applications, transcript and related documents.
- Assists new and returning students with course selection.
- Registers students in Datatel system through multi-screen process.
- Maintains and updates student files, including, but not limited to:
- Tracks graduation application and ensures all requirements have been met for degree conferral
- Compiles or assists with student paperwork (Program Update Requests, graduation applications, clearance, etc.).
- Tracks student course loads.
- Encourages students to register for correlating courses needed for their major.
- Will be responsible for tracking student applications, following up with prospective students, and meeting enrollment goals.
- Be a vital and contributing team member
Perform other duties as assigned by the Center Director
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer focused
- Experience working in a higher education environment
- Ability to work as a team member
- Ability to prioritize work, manage time and utilize various computer programs
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Academic or other counseling background preferred
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Job ID 2017-1507
Job Locations US-FL-Lake City