Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs
Requisition # 2017-7786
Department VP Communication &Public Affrs
Category Executive - Dean, Provost, Vice President
Date Posted 7/18/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University is seeking an individual for the role of Vice President for Communications and Public Affairs to serve as a trusted advisor to the President and a subject matter expert to other University leaders. The Vice President will report directly to the President and will work collaboratively with internal constituents such as the President's Cabinet, President's Council, deans, faculty, and senior administrators throughout the University to develop strategies and practices that: build public understanding and support for Princeton's teaching and research mission; cultivate awareness of the University's commitments to access, affordability and service; and build mutually beneficial relations between Princeton and its host communities, the State of New Jersey, and the federal government. The Vice President will be called upon to offer communications/public affairs advice and messaging on major institutional decisions and initiatives. The Vice President is also responsible for developing and maintaining a broad set of external relationships with the media, community leaders and elected officials and their staffs.
The Vice President has oversight of the offices of Communications, Community and Regional Affairs, Government Affairs and Public Affairs.
- Develop and lead an institutional strategy for publicly communicating and advocating the goals and priorities of Princeton University and those of higher education.
- Collaborate with and serve as a resource for senior University leaders with specific communications-related strategies and initiatives.
- Ensure that Princeton is proactive and strategic in the media and that it leverages its ability to advocate for broader issues facing the University and higher education.
- Collaborate with University leaders to devise swift responses to unexpected events and issues; serve as a valued contributor to any crisis management effort.
Community, Regional, Public and Governmental Affairs
- Maintain and cultivate strong relationships with local and regional, state and federal officials and community leaders that are mutually beneficial to the University and its neighbors
- Provide ongoing support, through communications, government relations, and community outreach, for the approvals necessary to achieve the goals of the University's campus plan
- Facilitate careful consideration of how University actions and activities affect the local communities and the region
- Increase awareness of the scope and depth of Princeton's programs that benefit the community
- Anticipate, identify, and coordinate advocacy on legislative and regulatory issues, at the local, regional, state and federal level, that affect Princeton's teaching and research mission
- Enhance and maintain strategies for effectively representing the University's interests and concerns regarding such topics as financial aid, the regulation of higher education, sponsored research, and tax policies related to institutions of higher education and charitable giving
- Cooperate with the Vice President for the Plasma Physics Laboratory on outreach to advance the interests of this national fusion energy research laboratory
- Oversee a well-coordinated, on-going approach to communication with key officials in the legislative and executive branches at all levels of government
- A track record of success in a senior leadership role
- Deep appreciation of and belief in Princeton's mission and the role it plays within higher education, its community, and the world
- Vision and insight relevant to the design and implementation of a communications strategy that advances the University's long-term mission and enables it to respond effectively to crises and other immediate challenges
- A highly communicative and collaborative leadership style that fosters an environment of trust among a broad stakeholder community
- Proven track record as a people manager that builds and enhances strong and diverse teams
- Skillful advocate and practitioner, as well as an exceptional leader and manager of people; proven ability to develop and nurture talent
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion; demonstrated ability to build relationships with people having a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to serve as a University representative and spokesperson in a variety of settings
- Broad experience with federal, state, and local public policy issues, ideally within higher education
- Significant experience and success in working with the media
- Extraordinary judgment and the highest degree of personal integrity and ethical standards
- Bachelor's degree and at least ten to fifteen years of increasing responsibility and success in one or more of the disciplines associated with this role are required. An advanced degree is preferred.
This search is being managed by Russell Reynolds Associates. All nominations, inquiries and applications to this position can be directed in confidence to: Russell Reynolds Associates, attn.: Kimberly Archer and Stephanie Tomasso, 1700 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20006-5208. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submission of credentials is strongly encouraged.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.