Director of Finance & Administration
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director)
Position #600647 - Requisition 10345
The Department of Pediatrics has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a department, including the development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. Directors are responsible and accountable for the analysis of fiscal and human resources required to achieve department objectives including hiring, compensation, termination, and performance management of subordinate employees.
The Department Director of Finance and Administration (1.0 FTE) coordinates policies and procedures and oversees the implementation of teaching, research, and clinical programs within the Department of Pediatrics. The Director of Finance and Administration has authority over the business affairs, funds and resources of the Department and serves as Fund Director of Finance and Administration. The Director of Finance and Administration represents the Department of Pediatrics within the CU School of Medicine part of the University of Colorado Denver and for the Pediatricians providing service to Children's Hospital Colorado, providing essential communication and networking for the effective functioning of these entities. The Director of Finance and Administration also provides leadership and oversight for the administrative and staff of the Department of Pediatrics and its associated sections.
The University of Colorado, Department of Pediatrics has approximately 900 faculty with primary appointments on the Anschutz Medical Campus and its affiliates, 400 volunteer clinical faculty, and 500 staff and research employees. The Department of Pediatrics is one of the largest Departments in the School of Medicine that is rapidly growing.
The DFA position is responsible for the management and oversight of the financial administration of clinical business, research and education activities conducted in the department. The incumbent must be able to foster and maintain very positive relationships and strategic development with Children's Hospital Colorado, UC Health, the VA, Denver Health, CU Medicine and other organizations that collaborate with the Department and faculty. This position is also responsible for the financial oversight related to all funding that flows through the Department to ensure the financial health and compliance with all applicable policy and procedures.
Examples of Work:
- Manages all funds of the Department of Pediatrics, including State appropriations, gift and endowment funds, grant and contract funds, clinical contract funds, and grant release funds. Manages the financial aspects of Strategic Planning, Faculty/Staff Recruitment and Investment Opportunity Analysis.
- Manages faculty practice plan, clinical revenues and make-whole agreements for the Department of Pediatrics.
- Manages development of budgets, controls and monitors revenue and expenditure activity for each source of funds.
- Oversee faculty salary data and sources of funds for annual salary recommendation process and responds to requests from the Dean's Office and the Department Chair for fiscal budgetary information.
- Monitors physician services billing and collection activity where appropriate, and coordinates all related activity with the administration of CU Medicine.
- Regularly reviews Departmental financial statements and ensures that the Department and sections are fiscally viable.
- Oversees the flow of administrative, financial and workload statistical data and reporting for the department.
- Administers pertinent State Fiscal Policies, State, CU School of Medicine, Children's Hospital Colorado, and University of Colorado rules and procedures, and applicable State and Federal laws and standards applying to business management (personnel, accounting, auditing, etc.). The Director of Finance and Administration develops, implements and enforces additional policies at the departmental level on behalf of the Senior Associate Dean, and Chair.
- Serves as a member of the School's Director of Finance and Administration Committee and represents the department on numerous task forces and committees as requested by the Dean's Office and the Department Chair.
- Attends departmental meetings such as Executive Committee, Vice Chair meetings, faculty meetings and regularly scheduled meetings with the Chair to present data and participate in discussions regarding the department. Attends Children's Hospital meetings as a key strategic partner representing the Department of Pediatrics in the same manner.
- Oversees and coordinates the appointment, re-appointment, promotion, tenure, retention activities and grievance procedures for faculty in the Department of Pediatrics with appropriate campus and outside agency personnel when necessary.
- Serves as a business and administrative resource for individual faculty members relative to all faculty affairs. Information requests by individual faculty members will be coordinated and processed through the Chair's office.
- Monitors educational programs (medical, allied health, graduate and housestaff programs) with respect to administration and resource management.
- Prepares reports such as self-studies, ACGME reports, and other required documents as requested by the Dean's Office and the Department Chair.
- Supervises and coordinates personnel matters for the Department of Pediatrics, including position establishment, recruitment, affirmative action, hiring and supervision of staff, performance planning and appraisal, and termination processes.
- Facilitates and promotes staff development and training classes, and provides orientation to faculty and staff as needed.
- Processes all levels of personnel documentation necessary for faculty and staff actions as needed; maintaining appropriate personnel records (e.g. vacation, sick leave, etc.). Monitors the performance evaluation activities for all support staff to include implementation and maintenance of the performance planning/appraisal program.
- Provides fiduciary oversight departmental purchasing activities, including delegation of purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, acquisition of capital equipment items and major capital building/renovation, and negotiation of leases.
- Oversees Department of Pediatrics facilities, both on and off campus, to ensure efficiency of operations. Participates in construction and/or remodeling activities and space and equipment inventory to assist in the long-range planning of facilities.
- Works in conjunction with the Children's Hospital Colorado medical directors and senior leadership in development of new facilities and sites of practice. This partnership includes planning of facilities, equipment and operational plans.
- Fosters and promotes financial growth and health of the Department of Pediatrics through the development of new and expanded funding sources and opportunities.
- Participates in activities, which may include grant writing, fund raising events and programs, and coordination of volunteer activity, including volunteer faculty.
- Represents the Department of Pediatrics to visitors, clients, media and the public. Participates and serves on University, Children's Hospital, community, state and national organizations, committees and task forces for the purpose of furthering Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital Colorado and School of Medicine goals and objectives, and refining the business and administrative functions of the Department of Pediatrics, Children's Hospital Colorado, and School of Medicine.
- Participates in planning activities for the Department of Pediatrics, including long range and short range planning. Shares responsibility for projection of programs, patient/client census, revenues and expenses, personnel needs and facilities needs.
Focused Partnering with Children's Hospital Colorado:
- Active partnering in problem solving, program and business development and strategic planning with joint teams of Department and Hospital leadership. This includes recruitment and retention processes known as Strategic Talent Acquisition and Retention (STAR).
- Oversight of shared funds flow including regular variance analysis, scenario modeling and management of numerous make-whole agreements with the hospital.
- Shared analysis utilizing research, education, practice plan, and hospital metrics.
- Management and co-management where required of hospital and section business managers over shared business objectives.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, business/public/health administration or closely related field. Candidates with a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business/public/health administration or closely related field AND two or more years of experience with broad and diversified professional experience, including fiscal management responsibilities for budgets over $100M, will also be considered.
- 3-5 years of broad and diversified professional management experience that must have included fiscal management responsibilities.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a 10-panel drug test.
- Must be willing and able to successfully pass a national criminal background check.
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, business/public/health administration or closely related field from an accredited institution.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in a medical setting, such as an academic Pediatrics Department environment.
- Experience providing financial oversight for a large entity.
- Experience in strategic planning.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, Department Directors, Administrators, managers, Children's Hospital Colorado staff and leadership, and CU Medicine.
- Knowledge of, and ability to apply, diversified financial management skills.
- Ability to manage funds effectively, from a variety of sources.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply, accepted theories, practices and principles of general management and administration, and possess sufficient advanced knowledge of the workings of an academic Pediatrics Department to apply these general principles thereto.
- Ability to communicate effectively in brief, focused and well organized oral and written presentations.
- Ability to establish work priorities and provide follow through to insure completion of activities, both personally and in subordinates.
- Ability to plan and organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities, as they apply to the complex workings of an academic Pediatrics Department.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume addressing specific skills and experiences 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Teri Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Jul 18, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Teri Wilson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00600647