Research Financial Manager
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics LASP develops, designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space-based observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets. LASP has built instruments and participated in missions to every planet in the solar system.
We are seeking a dynamic Research Financial Manager to further LASP's science mission by providing fiscal coordination, analytical support, and management of projects funded by federal and commercial sponsored research agreements, as well as to assist LASP faculty working on contract funded projects.
Direct department of financial analysts and travel arranger to ensure fiscal compliance with federal, state, commercial, and international sponsored research agreements and contracts. Retain cognizance of and manage a wide range of financial accounting and reporting requirements that facilitate the execution and completion of projects and programs from $5M - $150M. Through due diligence, direct oversight, and analytical rigor assesses the unique requirements and technical environment of each project/program to ensure sponsor, University, and project/program personnel are adequately supported in a way that optimizes efficiency and cost effectiveness. Work directly with project managers and principal investigators to determine program status, develop detailed budgets and forecasts; provide Earned Value reports; meet funding agency requests for program information; understand and mitigate variances; oversee and create estimates and projections to keep projects and programs on schedule and within budget; and ensure expenditure compliance. In addition, manage the travel coordination services for LASP.
• Manage programs in compliance with the wide range of sponsor requirements while being supportive of the research programs and personnel at LASP. Where needed, propose and/or implement internal processes to provide the appropriate consistency and flexibility in managing the projects and programs.
Develop applicable training programs for financial and other personnel in support of the same.
• Coordinate research-related issues with CU's Sponsored Programs Accounting Office, Office of Contracts and Grants, Procurement Service Center, University Management Systems, and outside funding agencies to ensure LASP project and program requirements are receiving the appropriate priority and attention to ensure fiscal viability.
• Develop and implement improvements to existing financial management processes and coordinate administrative processes and procedures that have a fiscal element and/or reliance.
• Maintain awareness of the changing fiscal and budgeting environments in the international, federal, state, and commercial sectors.
• Advise leadership, managers, and key personnel on the fiscal aspects of research projects including University policies/procedures, agency policies/procedures, research proposal guidelines, appropriate timing and point of contact, etc. Consult with PI's and other personnel as required on project and program charges, develop resourcing solutions, and adjudicating compliance issues.
• Work closely with LASP management to assist in achieving sustainable growth. Retain awareness and provide financial information that is pertinent and supportive of senior level and project/program management decisions.
• In cooperation with the LASP Contract and Compliance Manager, review program contract terms and conditions, identifying items for negotiation. Notify appropriate internal personnel of requirements and assure compliance with the terms and conditions.
• Earned Value Management cognizant expertise with an ability to tailor and refine EVM processes and reports as required by external sponsors and internally managed projects.
• Lead the planning and implementation of the transition to Earned Value Management Certification at LASP.
• Mentor, train, and lead the Business Analyst team in process standardization, improvements, and analytical techniques.
• Create a team oriented Financial Department that is service focused, process standardized, proactively analytical, comprehensively compliant, and adaptable and responsive in a multi-customer environment.
• Represent LASP in research financial management matters with Principal Investigators, Program analytical, comprehensively compliant, and adaptable and responsive in a multi-customer environment.
• Represent LASP in research financial management matters with Principal Investigators, Program Managers, sponsors, University stakeholders, and internal business affairs.
• Minimum of Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field.
• Ten or more year's professional financial analysis or accounting experience and a minimum of 5 years of management experience.
• Extensive experience with Microsoft Excel using advanced functions.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be collaborative, self-directed, able to handle multiple tasks and priorities, and meet deadlines.
• Experience with Earned Value reporting, A-21, or NASA flight programs.
• A propensity for quality, willingness to learn, and desire to be a part of a team are required in order to be successful.
• Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work independently.
• Must be able to work in a dynamic and challenging environment and take appropriate actions.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task while under pressure.
• Ability to meet multiple, strict deadlines while performing normal daily duties.
• Ability to effectively and cordially communicate with all levels of personnel and advise senior personnel.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
• Positive outlook and self-starter.
Due to Export Control restrictions, only US Citizens and Permanent Residents may apply.
A combination of one or more of the following areas of experience would be very useful in this position but are not required: experience as controller of a small high tech or research firm, aerospace industry knowledge, Government contracting or procurement knowledge, understanding of program management, experience with University of Colorado or other state university financial processes and procedures, MS Access knowledge, experience in selecting and implementing other financial reporting and support tools.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Curriculum Vitae or Resume 2 - Cover Letter. The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Colorado at Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10060 - Lab Atmos/Space Physics
Posting Date: Jul 18, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Freya Olson
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00735895