Adjunct Instructor of Shelter Medicine (Part-Time)
Job ID 23680
Full/Part Time Part-Time
The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to the College's overall goals of teaching, discovery and service to meet critical veterinary workforce needs by providing training for students in physical examination, anesthesia, and surgery. Importantly, the faculty member will also work with other shelter personnel to promote knowledge of progressive shelter medicine practices and enhancing the health of shelter animals.
Appointment's primary focus is in shelter medicine, with majority of time dedicated to teaching and developing clinical service opportunities with local and regional shelters and humane societies. Specifically, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Focus student teaching on meeting AVMA COE clinical competency requirements through interactions in local and regional humane societies and shelters
- Provide professional students with clinical training experience in physical examination, anesthesia, surgery, and dentistry. The individual should also be able to assist with instruction in shelter medicine and management, biosecurity, infectious disease, animal welfare, and behavioral welfare.
- Provide clinical training at the College of Veterinary Medicine's Middlebush Farm, the Veterinary Health Center, and at local and regional shelter facilities.
- DVM or equivalent degree;
- Professional license to practice veterinary medicine in Missouri;
- BNDD and DEA registration in the State of Missouri;
- Valid Driver's License
- USDA accreditation (small animal)
- Appropriate clinical veterinary experience
- Good communication skills
Completion of an appropriate residency (ABVP-shelter medicine) is desirable but not required.
Please direct inquiries about the position to Dr. Amie Burling, Chair of Shelter Medicine Search Committee, University of Missouri Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, 573-882-7821 or BurlingA@missouri.edu.
MU's Veterinary Health Center Hospital is a state-of-the-art teaching and medical services facility for companion animals as well as livestock. Columbia, MO is an ideal location for such a teaching hospital. The population of central Missouri and reasonable proximity to St. Louis and Kansas City provide for a robust small animal emergency and referral caseload. Missouri is a strong agricultural state with large numbers of horses, cattle, hogs, and poultry.
MU is a national leader in comparative medicine, in which researchers collaborate by sharing discoveries, innovations and treatments for humans and animals. Unique campus resources create a synergy to conduct high-quality research and practice cutting-edge medicine. For more about this special place and out impact on Missouri, the nation and the world, go to:
- University of Missouri/College of Veterinary Medicine- http://cvm.missouri.edu/
- Veterinary Health Center Hospital- http://www.vhc.missouri.edu/
- Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery- http://www.vms.missouri.edu/faculty.html
- Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Lab- http://vmdl.missouri.edu/
MU is a nationally competitive, global university. Many states fund separate research and land-grant universities, but Missouri combines those roles at its flagship institution. MU is both a land-grant university with a statewide mission of service to citizens and Missouri's largest public research university. Mizzou is one of only five universities nationwide that offers law, medicine, veterinary medicine and a nuclear research reactor on one campus.
- University of Missouri - http://www.missouri.edu/
- University of Missouri Health System, School of Medicine- http://medicine.missouri.edu/
- University of Missouri School of Law- http://law.missouri.edu/
- MU Research Reactor- http://www.murr.missouri.edu/index.php
- College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources- University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (CAFNR), Columbia, MO: About CAFNR
- Bond Life Sciences Center- http://bondlsc.missouri.edu/
Studies consistently rank Columbia as a top city in which to live for educational facilities, health care, technological savvy, economic growth, and cultural opportunities. The cost of living is still affordable, whether you prefer an apartment in the city, a farm on a country road or a family home near a top notch school. With a population of 108,500, Columbia is located in the heart of Missouri on Interstate 70. American Airlines connects Columbia Regional Airport with Dallas and Chicago. We have easy access to international airports from both St. Louis and Kansas City, as well.
Salary will be commensurate with training and expertise.
This part-time position is not eligible for University benefits.
This position is not eligible for University benefits. Individuals in non benefit eligible positions may choose to participate in the Tax Deferred Annuity Plan (403b). For information about this plan, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
Columbia Missouri Information
Columbia, Mo., is known as an ideal college town, combining small-town comforts, community spirit and low cost of living with big-city culture, activities and resources. Home to nationally renowned public schools and other colleges and educational centers, Columbia is packed with restaurants and entertainment venues and hosts more than a dozen annual cultural festivals.
- a letter stating professional interests and career goals;
- contact information (including email addresses) for three references; and,
- a curriculum vitae.
Review of applications will continue until suitable candidate is identified.