SEAC Academic Advisor - Agriculture/Computer Science (R-0398)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This 12 month, full-time, non-teaching, non-tenure track on-campus position enhances the Virtual College student experience by providing focused advising to distance learning students in the Werth College of Science, Technology and Mathematics. The advisor works in a team environment and will initially primarily advise distance learning Agricultural Business and Computer Science students. The mix of disciplines may change over time based on enrollment and demands within the college.
The successful candidate will advise undergraduate online students regarding information, procedures and academic requirements for programs within these areas. The advisor will assist and counsel students exploring possible career options associated with particular degrees, evaluate a student’s specific academic situation, and work with students to set reasonable academic goals aimed at timely completion of their chosen degree programs. Prepares advising materials for students, advising guides and degree audits each semester. Interacts with students through various technologies including telephone, e-mail, instant messaging, texting, Skype, Blackboard Collaborate, social media, etc. Advisors work with other advisors, program directors, department chairs and the Registrar’s Office regarding day-to-day operations and academic issues that impact students and their respective programs.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a Bachelor's Degree.
· A Master's Degree is preferred.
· One to three years of progressively responsible experience in advising or a related academic function within higher education.
· The successful candidate should possess advising, communication, and situation management skills, as he or she is required to interact continually with students in a professional manner.
· The ability to communicate professionally, to defuse student anxiety, and to interact with a wide range of student personalities and needs is crucial.
· The advisor must be able to guide students along the pathway of the student’s major, counseling students to anticipate deadlines for enrollment, financial aid, and other critical deadlines including withdrawal dates.
· The advisor will have a strong work ethic and will take the initiative to solve problems.
· The ability to organize and prioritize work is essential.
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority deadline: July 21, 2017. Application review will start on this date, and continue until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess each student's stage of academic development and assist them with establishing realistic and attainable academic goals.
- Advise students on academic issues; identify the educational options appropriate for each student as his or her situation dictates.
- Identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements in a timely manner, including a substantial number of student support services designed to assist them.
- Monitor academic progress of each assigned student. With the aid of the early alert system (Tiger IQ), analyze progress reports from faculty and promote satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion. With faculty, identify and discuss current and potential needs or problem areas (e.g., study skills, tutoring needed, writing issues) and refer student to appropriate student services.
- Maintains student files and records; documents all pertinent student information; updates student information system including Advisor Notes at regular intervals, after each contact with a student, and as needed in special circumstances.
- Alert students to relevant Fort Hays State University policies and procedures.
- Review mid-term and end-of-semester grades; conduct unscheduled grade audits as individual situations require.
- Assist students as needed in the completion of course enrollments, adds, drops, etc.
- In an unofficial capacity, evaluate transfer transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree program. All official evaluations must come from a degree analyst in the Registrar’s Office.
- Work with prospective students, including discussing the general academic requirements of a specific major, describing courses, discussing prerequisites, disseminating information regarding registration procedures.
- Assist student with admission and registration and provides guidance in course selection in keeping with the student's requirements to complete his or her degree, and with consideration of his or her interests and abilities.
- Answer routine questions regarding financial aid (e.g., deadlines for FAFSA submission), admissions (e.g., materials required, deadline for submission prior to a given semester) registration/enrollment, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill with a college/university environment, and student advising.
- Skill in working with a highly diverse, adult audience.
- Skill in both verbal (listening/speaking) and written communication in a professional manner.
- Genuine desire to help people achieve their educational goals.
- Strong work ethic.
- Skills in identifying and solving problems.
- Basic skills and comfort level in using computer and related technologies.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Please submit a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references. Submit one PDF with all of the required application documents.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit the FHSU Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through Human Resources will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Tiffany Fox
ABOUT THE COLLEGE:
The Werth College of Science, Technology and Mathematics (WCOSTM): The College was formed in 2015 by aggregating the departments of Agriculture, Applied Technology, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geosciences, Mathematics, and Physics, as well as the Sternberg Museum of Natural History and the Kansas Wetlands Education Center. The academic units consist of approximately 70 full-time faculty, 1200 undergraduate majors, and 60 graduate students. WCOSTM departments also make significant contributions to the university's General Education program, coursework support for the other four colleges and to the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science, which is an early-college program for high-achieving high school students. A new applied technology building has just been completed and will complement existing state of-the-art facilities. Undergraduate students participate in technical, classroom, field, and lab experiences that many universities would reserve for graduate students. The wide range of academic programs are innovative, and college faculty embrace a one-on-one teaching and mentoring philosophy, while providing robust scholarship opportunities for our students.
About Fort Hays State University:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
About Hays, Kansas:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.