COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS SPECIALIST
This position is designed to assist in the development, implementation, and administration of compensation, benefits and other human resources programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with and conduct job evaluations, including analyzing job descriptions for appropriate grade, job level, title, and FLSA exemption status. Draft and finalize job descriptions, and maintain job description database.
- Collect information on positions from supervisors to assist in developing job descriptions, and conduct periodic classification audits and make recommendations.
- Ongoing evaluation of existing and new positions, and review and recommend appropriate job titles.
- Monitor and review changes in compensation laws and regulations and recommend changes.
- Determine appropriate job matches, conduct salary research, participate in, and analyze results of compensation and benefits surveys.
- Accurately address inquiries regarding compensation including inquiries from employee and/or supervisor.
- Conduct and/or serve as a backup for new hire orientation.
- Support special compensation and benefits projects and cross-functional HR initiatives as needed, including the performance review process, wellness initiatives, benefits open enrollment, and benefits compliance matters.
- Draft and finalize compensation and/or benefits related letters, memos, etc.
- Serve as backup for the HRIS Analyst by entering and maintaining all employees (faculty, staff, including temporaries, seasonal temporaries) data in Banner in a timely and accurate manner. This includes generating an ID number; entering all personal data (name, DOB, SSN, etc.); benefits deductions; salary information; generating routine and complex reports from Banner using Microsoft Access and/or Crystal Reports; and completing verification of employment request.
- Under the guidance of the Benefits Services Manager, administer the 2017 day-to-day actions related to FMLA and the worker’s compensation program, process short term and long-term disability benefits request.
- Manage the TouchNet payment process (e.g. sending notifications, assisting employees with utilizing the system).
- Process all leaves of absence (with or without pay).
- Manage the random drug screening process
- Ensure the Discovery Benefits system is updated timely with new hires and terminations.
- Prepare benefit packets and make revisions to forms, checklists, and enrollment materials
- Coordinate logistics for related programs including confirming information with vendors/providers, developing communication materials, reserving rooms, and ordering refreshments.
- Assist with administrative duties for benefit programs such as health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, and wellness programs as instructed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree preferred along with 3 to 5 years of progressive experience in compensation and benefits administration is required. Must have thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal compensation laws and regulations. Requires experience in developing, evaluating job descriptions, performing salary comparability studies, surveys, and conducting various salary analyses. Experience in and exposure to all areas of total compensation, with hands on knowledge of market pricing and job evaluation techniques and benefits administration required. Excellent written and verbal presentation/proposal skills required.
Proficient working knowledge of FLSA and DOL compensation regulations, procedures, and compensation practices including employment classification rules and regulations is required. Must possess the ability to calculate and interpret mathematical formulas such as percentages, ratios, etc.
Must be process oriented. (i.e. understanding how payroll, finance, and HR work together). Must possess excellent organizational skills; able to prioritize tasks in order to handle multiple projects or assignments and meet deadlines/deliverables; and provide timely follow-up/follow-through. Highly detailed driven with emphasis on confidentiality, time sensitivity, accuracy, coupled with the ability to see the broader picture. Excellent skills in both mathematical and comparative analysis are required. Knowledge of market pricing and job evaluation techniques required. Must demonstrate civility, excellent customer service skills, and able to handle confidential matters, and respond to employees with diplomacy and tact.
Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills including the ability to apply functions such as look-ups, pivot tables, and mathematical formulas; and proficiency in the use of Access/Crystal Reports, PowerPoint, Word, and Publisher is required. Use of Banner/Ellucian systems is a plus.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to visit our website and apply via our online application: www.spelman.edu. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a campus environment filled with unique opportunities and experiences.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE