Director of OLE Strategic Planning
Director of OLE Strategic Planning
On behalf of the Open Library Environment (OLE), the Duke University Libraries are creating a new senior level position of Director of Strategic Planning. As a community committed to developing and sustaining the first open-source library management platform designed by librarians for libraries, OLE recognizes that planning for technical direction, collaboration, and sustainability permeates all aspects of its operations and strongly influences our mission.
*** This is a 2-Year Term Appointment. ***
Reporting jointly to the Managing Director of OLE and the AUL for Information Technology Services for the Duke University Libraries, serving the OLE Board of Directors, and participating as ex officio to the OLE Steering Committee, the Director of Strategic Planning will:
• Lead the development of a shared vision for OLE's future that supports the mission of the [Open Library Collaboration] and is responsive to the changing information needs of its members, sponsors, and broader library community.
• Create and articulate an evolving technology strategy to support that vision, with ongoing input from key stakeholders.
• Work with the OLE team and outside collaborators to set the priority and order of technical development based on the functional priorities of the OLE partner libraries.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive vision and strategy for community engagement, development, and creating a sustainable organization.
• Effectively communicate OLE's shared vision to the OLE partners, potential partner libraries, and the broader library community.
• Represent OLE in national and international library-related collaborative technology efforts.
• Represent OLE in national and international conferences and forums.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must be able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is possible.
• Normal office environment.
• Occasional weekend shifts required.
• Occasional travel is required.
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit packages which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at https://hr.duke.edu/careers/apply - refer to Requisition # 401297214. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
2426 ANALYST, IT, SR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
REQUIRED: Bachelor's degree in Library and Information Science, Computer Science, Business Systems, or related discipline.
PREFERRED: Advanced degree in Library and Information Science, Computer Science, Business Systems, or related discipline.
• Three to five years minimum of professional experience in a strategic leadership position.
• Significant experience with increasing levels of responsibility for setting and implementing strategic directions.
• Demonstrated command of trends in digital libraries, information policy, collaborative technologies, and community-based open-source projects.
• Successful and effective leadership in academic, technical, and scientific communities, including a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, oversee projects, and deliver excellent services.
• Evidence of enthusiasm, creativity and potential to succeed in a production oriented, rapidly changing, research library environment, including a good collaborative and relationship-building track record.
• Demonstrated experience in expository writing, public presentation, and communications; ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrated temperament to work with a wide variety of constituencies, both inside and outside the organization; ability to organize and work effectively with volunteers.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.