Senior Repairer (multiple)
Posting Date July 17, 2017
Position Title Senior Repairer (multiple)
Vacancy # VC- 363
Department A.V.P. Facilities Maintenance and Engineering
Division University Facilities
Under the supervision of the Crew Supervisor or other appointed authority, takes a leading role and performs a variety of routine basic maintenance and repair tasks involved with carpentry, painting, plumbing, steam fitting, electrical and mechanical.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As team leader performs the following tasks:
- Repairs plumbing stoppages and repairs minor leaks.
- Replaces washers and gaskets and makes general service repairs.
- Replaces light bulbs, wall plates, switches and outlets.
- Changes lubricant, belts and filters and performs light maintenance work on mechanical equipment.
- Repairs damaged walls and ceiling and floor tiles.
- Checks exit and emergency lights for proper operation. Replaces bulbs and battery packs as necessary.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance work.
- Performs duties on all buildings on campus and all exterior features on campus.
- Uses work orders and fills in all pertinent information.
- Follows all safety procedures including wearing uniform and appropriate protective personal equipment (PPE.)
- Ensures that all staff and customers are treated with respect and courtesy
- All customers to be greeted, questioned as to their needs, advised of any necessary information and thanked for their business in a pleasant manner. Staff is to be treated similarly.
- Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized management information systems used by the Physical Plant Department
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Education: High School Diploma or GED certificate is preferred.
Experience: Two years of professional experience in performing general maintenance repair work is a must.
Licenses: Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of the vehicle rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
Knowledge and Abilities: Knowledge of standard tools, materials and methods is a must. Ability to analyze/trouble shoot problems is preferred. Ability to work with diverse populations and in a team is a must. Ability to read speak and understand English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. Ability to understand and follow safety procedures. Ability to work flexible shifts.
Salary Range C18: $37,352.57 - $52,387.61
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to step four $42,3464.25
This is an essential employee title. Must be available to work all shifts, weekends and holidays.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Create profile with resume and cover letter as one (1) attachment and submit to:
Apply By 7-31-17
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION