Posting Date July 17, 2017
Position Title Communication Specialist
Vacancy # V-1344
Department University Communications
Division University Advancement
The Communications Specialist serves as the senior marketing writer for the University's centralized communications group. In this capacity, s/he works with the marketing, advertising, website, social media, editorial and media relations groups to create compelling marketing and editorial content. This position requires a versatile self-starter with strategic expertise, prolific output and top-flight writing skills.
The successful candidate will maintain a positive, professional presence while handling multiple assignments within tight timeframes in a creative, fast-paced environment. The position requires the ability to produce a wide variety of written products in a full range of formats, including creative, compelling marketing copy; stand-out web copy; intelligent and readable newsletters; engaging brochures; and media outreach collateral. Substantive knowledge of the higher education sector-especially undergraduate and graduate recruitment-is strongly preferred.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to,
• Writes and/or edits SEO-friendly, strategically on-target, engaging content for the University website, digital and print newsletters, brochures, sales sheets and other marketing materials.
• Conceptualizes, writes and edits copy for print, digital, radio and broadcast advertising.
• Researches and writes news releases, backgrounders, pitches, alerts and other media relations collateral.
• Writes and/or edits speeches, scripts, long form features, news articles, social media content.
• Develops creative ideas and concepts for advertising and marketing vehicles, including advertising concepts and copy, social media campaigns and out-of-home advertising.
• Takes basic photos and video clips to accompany stories.
• Keeps up to date on industry trends and developments, evolving skill set and platform proficiency as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
Bachelor's degree in English, Communications or related discipline.
Five years of relevant professional experience directly related to the position; relevant professional work experience in an institution of higher education preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to produce compelling, effective writing with close attention to audience, goals, messaging, tone and accuracy.
• Strong project management, planning, and follow-through skills.
• Ability to juggle multiple assignments and make sound decisions under pressure.
• Superior proofreading and editing skills; knowledge of AP Style.
• Current knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM) strategies and best practices.
• Ability to think strategically and creatively in developing and recommending publications and projects.
• Strong competency using MS Word, PowerPoint and Google Drive.
• Basic working knowledge of photography, videography, PhotoShop and web content management/publishing systems.
• Demonstrated team player who possesses resiliency and ability to receive and address feedback from peers, partners and clients in a professional and thoughtful manner.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION