Senior Operations Manager
Requisition # 2017-7773
Department Campus Dining
Category Food Services and Dining
Date Posted 7/17/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
Princeton University invites applications for the position of Senior Operations Manager for the Department of Campus Dining. The Senior Operations Manager at The Center for Jewish Life is responsible for all aspects of service, production, personnel, and financial reporting. This position provides hands on positive leadership to motivate and engage the team by providing proper on-boarding and training.
Campus Dining, a division of University Services, is a dynamic and progressive culinary organization responsible for the food program management in residential dining halls, retail venues, and catering across campus.
Our guiding principles are:
- Team and People: to inspire our team of hospitality professionals
- Service excellence: to deliver excellence in food and beverage service and food and beverage production
- Efficiency and effectiveness: to continually develop innovative solutions that are fiscally responsible while being sustainable for our community, health, well-being and the environment.
A full job description will be furnished prior to interview.
- Maintains standards for service levels and hospitality at all times for all meal periods with special attention to signage, set up, and preparedness at opening and closing of operations. Having basic simples in place for guests and the ability to deliver a consistent high standard service experience.
- Supports the kosher facility in day-to-day operations, works closely with the kosher certification mashgiach.
- Directly supervises and schedules all assigned front line associates ensuring the goals and objectives of the operation are met on a daily basis by the staff. Maintains the unit's time collection for employees and managers.
- Implements and supports Campus Dining's sustainability and wellness initiatives.
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining the food labeling system.
- Meets weekly with client to plan upcoming events. Responsible for utilizing a computerized system, maintaining a special event board, invoicing, and communicating needs to the culinary and front of house associates.
- Supports Campus Dining events as needed.
- Along with the Sous Chef II and the mashgiach, oversees and assists the front line staff in all aspects of food and servery preparation and presentation during meal periods and catered events.
- Initiates innovation for a kosher facility by conducting research on global culinary trends, food marketing, and conscious eating habits to support an expansive multi-dimensional experience that supports the campus community by providing a variety of healthy food options.
- Maintains department standards for accuracy of recipes and evaluates customer preferences, making menu adjustments as necessary.
- Assists Sous Chef II with development of new menus, recipes, and food ordering.
- Assists with the selection of special menus for a variety of theme meals.
- Monitors systems for controlling the cost of goods, using available software and basic computer skills.
- Supports staff initiatives and encourage new ideas and concepts brought forward by team members.
- Maintains high level of food safety and sanitation standards. Provides training (to include safe and proper equipment handling) and supervision to all staff for these standards.
- Ensures compliance with kosher certification, and all state, local, and university food safety, work place safety, and HACCP policies and procedures. Ensures a safe work environment through addressing safety concerns, to eliminate safety hazards; investigates and reports incidents, enforces safety work rules and procedures. Works with Environmental Health & Safety to provide training programs.
- Works closely with the Campus Dining Wellness Dietitian in assisting students and guests with food allergies and special needs.
- Monitors cleaning, maintenance, and repair of kitchen equipment.
Team & Training:
- Provides guidance and feedback to the front line associates. Supervises union employees to ensure compliance with the collective bargaining unit agreement, laws of kosher certification and adherence to University policies and procedures. Administers performance appraisals; counsels and disciplines employees as required.
- Provides continual positive leadership to motivate and engage all associates. Oversees the hiring process of all team members and provides proper on-boarding, training, and performance appraisals. Establish baseline expectations for associates and provides guidance and feedback.
- Assists with planning, organizing, coordinating, scheduling, food preparation and delegating responsibility to the team, ensuring the goals and objectives of the operation are met on a daily basis.
- Provides hands on attitude and presence in the servery and kitchen assisting all front line staff.
- Attends meetings/trainings as required.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience managing teams in a hospitality environment.
- Knowledge of the health department's rules and regulations, including HACCP and ServSafe.
- The ability to work independently with a high level of accuracy, manage multiple priorities, and delegate tasks efficiently.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to meet firm production deadlines.
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns and issues raised by team members and guests.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Based on business needs, ability to work a flexible schedule, AM, PM, weekends and/or holidays. A typical schedule is 7am-3:30pm, with rotating days off.
- Valid driver's license.
- Essential personnel, https://www.princeton.edu/hr/policies/conditions/5.0/5.0.4/
- Stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for a total of 6-8 hours per day;
- Sit for no more than 2 hours during an 8 hour day;
- Drive for no more than 30 minutes at one time;
- Lift or carry up to 30 pounds frequently (34 - 66% of the workday);
- Lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- Push or pull using forces up to 50 pounds occasionally (less than 33 % of the workday);
- Frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling with forces up to 30 pounds (34 - 66% of the workday);
- Bend, squat, kneel, climb stairs, reach overhead, lift overhead occasionally (less than 33% of the work day);
- Lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead; lift 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to chest height.
- Work under a range of temperature conditions (e.g., kitchens, walk-in refrigerators and freezers, etc.);
- Possess physical agility, full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal Nutritional guidelines.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Basic knowledge of computerized food production systems.
- Knowledge and experience with the use and maintenance requirements of kitchen equipment.
- Previous experience with training, on-boarding and mentoring staff.
- Knowledge of technology for: digital signage & social media.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.