HR Business Partner / ER Consultant (Human Resources Consultant - Advanced)
Position Number 998970
Position Classification Title Human Resources Consultant
Functional Title HR Business Partner / ER Consultant (Human Resources Consultant - Advanced)
Position Type Staff
The Department of Human Resources is currently seeking qualified and motivated individuals for an Human Resources Business Partner / Employee Relations Consultant (Human Resources Consultant-Advanced).
The Department of Human Resources commits to the creation of an inclusive, collaborative, and responsive university by attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse community of talented individuals in support of the university's mission. The Department is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art employee services including talent management, professional development and organizational capacity, compensation, employee benefits, wellness and work/life balance, rewards and recognition, records management, employee relations, human resource information systems,and affirmative action and diversity, that promote innovation, creativity, and inclusion.
The Director of HR Business Partners and Employee Relations seeks to be a strategic partner with senior-level administrators across campus in developing and implementing creative and innovative HR solutions to the issues that challenge UNCG.
The Human Resources Business Partner/Employee Relations (ER) Consultant collaborates with client groups and HR teams to develop and deliver effective human capital programs and policies and practices that align with business objectives, drive superior business results and contribute to the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. The position will focus primarily in the areas of People Strategy & Organizational Effectiveness, Change Leadership & Coaching, and Management Level Employee Relations Support.
The position performs Human Resource program management functions for its' respective divisional function(s) as well as serving as the expert in Employee Relations campus-wide. This position formulates partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service to management. This position reports to the Director of Employee Relations and Senior HR Business Partner.
The key responsibilities include:
- Serve as an Employee Relations consultant and HR Business Partner
- Advise and negotiate with supervisors/managers and have an in-depth understanding of the departmental organizational issues and working relationships.
- Investigate, identify departmental issues and resolve complicated and sensitive problems.
- Provide institutional support in Employee Relations and the disciplinary dismissal process.
- Develop policy and procedures in regards to disciplinary/dismissal and grievances, in response to changes occurring withing the legislature, OSHR, UNC GA and/or the University.
- Advise employees and supervisors of their rights and responsibilities under the grievance procedures, coordinating grievance hearings and advising Employee Relations Grievance Committee.
- Design, develop, and guide efforts to improve business performance to support the achievement of organizational objectives through integrated HR strategic plans across assigned areas.
- Partner with management to develop and drive strategic workforce plans, with clear, actionable steps, that optimize the organization's talent, structure, process and culture.
- Work with client(s) and meet monthly to adjust strategies to meet changing business and talent needs.
- Develop and lead the implementation of HR programs, policies and processes with client group(s) including workforce planning, talent acquisition and management, onboarding, goal setting, performance management, total rewards, colleague engagement, leadership assessments and succession planning.
- Provide information, analysis and consulting with department leaders to make data-driven human capital decisions about their organizations; leverage HR and business metrics to analyze and identify staff issues,
- Communicate organizational culture, policies and procedures, tools and resources to colleagues and internal clients.
- Provide training, coaching and collaboration with business leaders in employee development, team-building, performance management and talent planning; assist leaders with development plans for teams and employees.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
- and more
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
BACHELOR'S DEGREE AND TWO YEARS OF PROGRESSIVELY RESPONSIBLE PROFESSIONAL HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Recruitment Range $60,939 - $64,385
Org #-Department Human Resources - 58401
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M, Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band HR Consultant
Competency Level Advanced
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Advises and negotiates with clients to address dynamic issues which require an in-depth understanding of the client's organizational culture, issues and work relationships. Resolves complicated, sensitive, or unusual problems of an individual or systemic nature.Coaches and leads others in providing effective, responsive, timely consultation services. Enhances collaboration among individuals and groups and builds consensus when dealing with opposing points of view and resolving competing or complex issues. Promotes a high level of integrity among all staff.
Program / Project Management (Advanced)
Manages new or multi-faceted HR program(s) or project(s). Leads and facilitates teams, workgroups or assigned staff; conducts research and development; takes initiative in strategic planning. Understands organizational culture and vision to anticipate barriers to accepting change, especially when changes have broad impact. Enhances collaboration and builds consensus across the organization by anticipating opposing points of view and reconciling differences.
Knowledge - Professional and Organizational (Advanced)
Knowledge of HR policies, procedures, best practices and their theoretical bases, demonstrated by the ability to relate HR programs to strategic plan to address complex or sensitive issues affecting clients. Collaboratively revises and approves programs, services, policies and/or procedures. Approves policy exceptions in programs of assigned area.Knowledge of relationships and interrelationships of issues across organizational boundaries. Incorporate the business' language when designing initiatives that support alignment of strategic business and HR goals.
Cultivates professional relationships with all levels of the organization in order to understand the business case and to have credibility when taking the initiative in difficult situations.
Coordinates and manages communication efforts conveying difficult, crucial, and/or controversial decisions/results across organizational lines. Drafts communications that inform decisions and influence outcomes.
Open Date 07/17/2017
Close Date 07/25/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 74
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * How many years of experience do you have in Human Resources Management?
- Less than five (5) years
- five (5) to ten (10) years
- ten (10) years or more
- * How many years of experience do you have in Employee Relations?
- Less than two (2) years
- Two (2) to five (5) years
- Five (5) years or more
- * Do you have previous experience in Higher Ed?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu