Assistant Track & Field Coach (F023)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: Assistant Track & Field Coach
Position Tracking Number: F023
School/College: School of Behavioral and Applied Sciences
Location: Azusa Campus
Description: Assist head coach in day-to-day operations with the program, including but not limited to coaching, recruiting, scouting, academic support and general operations with NCAA rules.
- Teach and develop sport specific skills. Teach in a classroom environment the basic tenants of the sport's game plan and skills needed to execute the game plan. Organize and lead meetings involving personnel.
- Aid in developing coaching strategies to enhance the athletic performance of student-athletes in the class room and on the field.
- Assist in planning and education of students in techniques, skills and theory of the sport.
- Develop scouting reports and evaluations of opponents from video break-down.
- Help in planning of practice sessions and competitive coaching situations.
- Ensure student compliance with rules regarding behavior and appearance.
- Support the conditioning and training of team members in conjunction with weight/strength coach athletic trainers and team physicians.
- Work cooperatively with university coaches, staff, and faculty and community members.
- Recruiting responsibilities include; evaluation and identification of good fit prospective student athletes by evaluation of skill and academic performance; contact and communication with PSA's and families; cultivation of relationships with high school coaches, and aiding in major recruiting efforts.
- Comprehend and operate by standards set forth in the NCAA and APU Manuals.
- Aid in education and enforcement of NCAA rules as they relate to documentation and input of information in JumpForward and the NCAA Institutional Request List (IRL).
- Running summer camps while ensuring NCAA compliance and documentation.
- May be needed to work at alternative teaching sites.
Level: Coaching Faculty
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Successful previous coaching and teaching experience
Workload: Full-time, 12 months
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
- Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
- Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Hire Date: Open until filled.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.