Sr. Design Engineer
Summary of Position:
The Senior Design Engineer is responsible for new product development that supports all business units at Summer Infant. This senior role is reserved for the most complex projects and challenging products. Approximately 80% of the emphasis of this role is on new product design (including prototyping, debugging, cost reducing, and supplier relations) while roughly 20% of this role is focused on project management (including preparation of specifications for vendor packages, meeting management, and vendor management) and mentoring of other engineers on the Team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
New Product Development and Engineering
- Manage new product designs for business units by meeting required deadlines, cost targets, and quality requirements.
- Execute mechanical designs using SolidWorks 3D CAD software.
- Maintain product engineering documentation.
- Propose design solutions for new products.
- Prepare notes and track changes for new product debug.
- Liaison with domestic and orient manufacturing partners to develop and debug new products.
- Assist with preliminary product design to solve any design or manufacturing issues.
- Determine material selections for new and revised products.
- Manage component sourcing for new products.
Cost Reduction and Quality Improvement Programs
- Manage and execute cost reduction projects, including revising the engineering design of products.
- Work with cross functional teams to execute the engineering for quality improvement projects.
- Prepare quotation and final specification documents, such as parts lists, mold plans, exploded assembly drawings and CAD data to support Project Engineers for VQP's and ESR's on new products.
- Participate in new product brainstorm meetings.
- Prepare and finalize detailed product specifications.
- Participate in meetings with Operations, as needed.
- Create Proof of Concept models and prototyping in the model shop, when feasible.
- Manage external resources for engineering prototyping.
Engineering Team Responsibilities
- Mentor lower level engineers on the design engineering team on product engineering, choice of materials and any other issues that arise on the Team.
- Provide engineering analysis of new product designs for potential failure areas prior to tool start. This can be for own projects, projects of other design engineers or products being engineered by outside firms, including Asian suppliers.
- Help to manage design specification and CAD archive files for all products engineered by the Summer Infant design engineering team.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Strong Solidworks 3D CAD skills are required. This includes proficiency in 3D surfacing.
- Ability to perform engineering analysis using 3D CAD data or manually is desired.
- Candidate must have experience in consumer product development and knowledge of manufacturing methods particularly plastic injection molding and tooling.
- Some domestic and international travel may be required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
Sun, 9 Jul 2017 12:56:57 PDT