Facilities Structural Supervisor II
Facilities Structural Supervisor II
Facilities Supervisor II
Facilities-Gen - 152000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m
The Structural group within the Facilities Maintenance Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Facilities Structural Supervisor II.
The division consists of seven Departments: Custodial Services, Grounds Department, Zone Maintenance, Utilities Maintenance, Structural Maintenance, Construction Services, and Auxiliary Services. For additional information on the Facilities Maintenance department you may visit our website at: http://facilities.unt.edu/depts/maintenance.
The Facilities Maintenance Department supports the academic, research, housing, and dining facility needs for the University of North Texas while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the University's physical assets. The Facilities Maintenance team performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs of the campus buildings and utility infrastructure. Grounds services provides an aesthetically pleasing environment for University faculty, staff, students, and visitors by maintaining all campus turf, landscapes, irrigation system, litter control, solid waste management and recycling. Facilities Maintenance maintains, repairs, constructs, and renovates University facilities and installed systems in accordance with applicable codes and regulations, and in conformance with University policies and standards.
As one of the nation's largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of over 36,000 students. UNT is a student-focused public research university with 12 colleges and schools offering 97 bachelors, 81 masters, and 35 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there's something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 17 consecutive years, the state's most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a "Best in the West" university.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions: Facilities Planning, Design & Construction (FPDC); Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities you may visit our website at: www.facilities.unt.edu. University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Facilities Supervisor II-Structural Supervisor to join our team.
** POSITION TO START ON OR AFTER 09/01/2017 **
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* This position supervises the group of structural trades by assigning and developing projects, monitoring assigned budget, and coordinating services with other University departments.
* Supervises structural trade staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
* Coordinates department activities which includes determining maintenance and trades needs, preparing work orders, and/or performing related duties.
* Assists in monitoring the department budget which may include reviewing and approving expenditures and allocating resources.
* Monitors and maintains inventory. Requisitions supplies when needed.
* Prepares and maintains a variety of operational records, logs, reports, and/or related documents.
* Participates in complex or advanced department maintenance and operations activities.
* Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
* Makes decisions concerned with the selection and design of processes for accomplishing work.
* Determines the overall priority and plan for maintaining and repairing assigned services.
* Design maintenance operational plans and repair procedures, and determine priority standards.
* Works under minimal supervision, typically provided with general goals and objectives within assigned structural area.
* Supervises assigned staff by evaluating performance, assigning tasks, and recommending hiring, termination, and disciplinary actions.
* Coordinating services and large repair projects with other trades and University departments.
* Estimating material quantities; Reviewing plans, making recommendations; Collaborating with other supervisors and managers; Coordinating and/or conducting safety training.
* Developing and implementing operational policies and procedures, as well as performance standards; Managing the purchasing of materials and supplies, overseeing supplier contracts; Reviewing and evaluating the performance of all supervised staff, performing disciplinary reviews and training; Recommending hiring and termination of employees.
Classification skill requirements:
* Providing exemplary customer service.
* Operating a variety of maintenance and repair related equipment.
* Performing carpentry, masonry, painting, and/or related trades work.
* Applying applicable compliance rules and regulations.
* Maintaining records.
* Communications, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
The successful candidate will possess a High school diploma/GED equivalent and five years experience in related maintenance/repair field. Substitution of education for experience allowed. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Thorough knowledge of methods, practices, tools, materials and supplies used in cleaning, maintaining, repairing and servicing equipment.
* Thorough knowledge of the operating principles of related mechanical assemblies.
* Ability to adapt available tools and repair parts to specific repair problems.
* Skill in locating and adjusting defects in equipment.
* Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in maintenance and repair.
* Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
* Valid driver's license and ability to drive a vehicle, and maintain coverage under University auto insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Five (5) years University General Maintenance work experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
** POSITION TO START ON OR AFTER 09/01/2017 **
* Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting