Grounds Crew Leader I
Grounds Crew Leader I
Crew Leader I
Facilities-Gen - 152000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, 40 hours/week
The Grounds group within the Facilities Maintenance Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Grounds Crew Leader I.
The division consists of seven Departments: Custodial Services, Grounds Department, Zone Maintenance, Utilities Maintenance, Structural Maintenance, Construction Services, and Auxiliary Services. For additional information on the Facilities Maintenance department you may visit our website at: http://facilities.unt.edu/depts/maintenance.
The Facilities Maintenance Department supports the academic, research, housing, and dining facility needs for the University of North Texas while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the University's physical assets. The Facilities Maintenance team performs routine and preventative maintenance and repairs of the campus buildings and utility infrastructure. Grounds services provides an aesthetically pleasing environment for University faculty, staff, students, and visitors by maintaining all campus turf, landscapes, irrigation system, litter control, solid waste management and recycling. Facilities Maintenance maintains, repairs, constructs, and renovates University facilities and installed systems in accordance with applicable codes and regulations, and in conformance with University policies and standards.
As one of the nation's largest public universities and the most comprehensive in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, we are dedicated to providing an excellent educational experience to a diverse student body of over 36,000 students. UNT is a student-focused public research university with 12 colleges and schools offering 97 bachelors, 81 masters, and 35 doctoral degree programs, many nationally and internationally recognized. With more than 400 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics and an array of concerts presented by our world-renowned College of Music, there's something for everyone at UNT. UNT has been named by Forbes as one of America's 100 Best College Buys® for 17 consecutive years, the state's most affordable research university, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and The Princeton Review named us a "Best in the West" university.
The Facilities organization at UNT is a service provider comprised of the following divisions: Facilities Planning, Design & Construction (FPDC); Facilities Maintenance (FM) and Facilities Support & Services (FSS). We are responsible for the planning, renovation, maintenance and repair of university buildings and facilities, as well as other services playing an essential role to the mission of the University of North Texas. Facilities has over 325 employees who lead the way in caring for and operating over 170 facilities and 904 acres of landscape. Our goal is to provide world class support for the University by ensuring safe, reliable, efficient facility and utility services delivered with outstanding customer services and effective stewardship of resources and the environment. For additional information on Facilities you may visit our website at: www.facilities.unt.edu. University of North Texas Career Bands are located on the Human Resources website at: www.hr.unt.edu under the subtitle of Pay Plan.
The Facilities Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Crew Leader I to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Supervises and works with crew to ensure all assigned areas and tasks are completed properly and according to the schedule.
* Ensure all safety and proper horticultural practices are followed.
* Supervises and participates in mowing, trimming, edging, hand weeding, digging, planting, pruning, trash detail, and all other landscape related tasks.
*Takes proactive measures in addressing problem areas, including making plans, asking for assistance from other teams, and reporting to Grounds Supervisor or Grounds Manager.
* Completes all required paperwork in a timely manner, including labor reports, daily completion reports, mileage forms, and others as required.
* Properly maintains grounds vehicles and equipment and promptly reports problems requiring repair.
* Participates on inclement weather team for ice and snow removal.
* Ensures that crew properly follows all break times, lunch times, and work schedules.
* Trains and supervises new and inexperienced crew members including students.
* Other duties as assigned.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess two years related experience with some experience in a lead or supervisory role. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
* Ability to keep records and complete forms accurately.
* Ability to direct and manage the work of others.
* Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: measuring).
* Physical ability to perform work involving standing, stooping, operating equipment, and lifting.
* Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
* Valid driver's license and ability to drive a vehicle, and maintain coverage under University auto insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* At least two years of previous grounds maintenance related experience.
* At least one year of leadership experience.
* At least two years of experience working as part of a team.
Special Instructions to Applicants
** THIS POSITION WILL START ON OR AFTER 09/01/2017 **
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting