Posting Number NC808P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/21486
Working Title Instructional Designer
Position Number 16310
Department Distance Education
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The School of Continuing Education and Academic Outreach-Global Campus is the collaborative leader that facilitates the efforts of the academic colleges, schools, and units at the University of Arkansas to
develop and deliver faculty-driven, high quality, and cutting-edge online, distance, and workforce education programs and courses. The Global Campus' focus is on progressive and innovative learning solutions in addition to expanding access to educational and professional opportunities to all students (traditional, non-traditional, and working professionals).
Department Home Page globalcampus.uark.edu
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
This Instructional Designer position serves all faculty at the University in the creation and revising of online and face-to-face courses. Additionally, this position will participate in creating workforce development courses in collaboration with subject matter experts, workforce development coordinators, visual designers, and our own media production team to design and build adult education for external clients. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, course design, faculty/SME consultation and support, ongoing course evaluation and revision, course and program alignment, quality assurance, and other related responsibilities. This position reports directly to the Director of Instructional Design and Support Services.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Master's degree or higher in Educational Technology, Instructional Design, or equivalent field from an accredited institution of higher education
- At least three years of prior experience as an Instructional Designer
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Experience designing courses within a Learning Management System (e.g. Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle) at an institution of higher education, preferably at a research university
- Experience with applying ADA guidelines and accessibility best practices in digital communications
- Experience applying the Quality Matters rubric at an institution of higher education
- Instructional design experience in the area of professional development, executive education, and job training
- Project management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Extensive knowledge of online course development
- In-depth knowledge of current educational and distance learning technologies
- In-depth knowledge of adult learning theories
- Knowledge of accessibility and copyright issues
- Knowledge and experience with basic HTML and troubleshooting
- Proficient skill using Blackboard or other learning management system (LMS)
- Strong written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Proficient instructional design abilities
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects with tight deadlines
- Ability to be detail oriented with strong project management skills
- Ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds and expertise
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (schedule may vary based on department needs with varied scheduling depending on workload)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Global Campus - Uptown Facility
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Salary $52,000 - $55,000 Commensurate with Experience
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? No
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date 07/15/2017
Close Date 08/12/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
University of Arkansas Human Resources
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s) cont.
- Proof of Veterans Status