Bookstore Clerk 2
Coastline Community College
Fountain Valley, CA
Bookstore Clerk 2
Salary: $37,116.00 - $45,204.00 Annually
Deadline: Thu. 07/27/17
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://www.cccd.edu/employment. Please click on OPEN POSITIONS located in the menu bar on the left, then select your desired jobs category to access list of open positions.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Business Services and the contracted Bookstore Manager, will assist in determining store needs and ordering for one or more areas, such as trade books, magazines and periodicals, general merchandise, computers, or textbooks; assist with textbook buy-back process; maintain purchase and inventory records; process invoices and maintain routine accounting records; provide sales assistance to bookstore customers, and perform related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist in the ordering process for one or more areas of the Bookstore, such as trade/general books, magazines and periodicals, textbooks, general merchandise, study aids, or computers.
• Assist in maintaining Distant Learning vendor records and quotes for accounts payable and accounts receivable; match receiving documents with purchase orders to check for correct prices and possible shortages; check invoices and statements for accuracy, resolve any discrepancies, and processing invoices for payment. Assist with special orders, incarcerated guides, correspondence, facility forms, return to sender shipments and processing.
• Process overstock of books and other merchandise to vendor, generating shipping documents for return.
• Receive, price and display textbooks or merchandise.
• Assist on the sale floor. Provide sales assistance for bookstore customers on the sales floor, at the registers, online system, emails or over the phone, and in processing end of day on registers.
• Assist with textbook orders by receiving and processing and shelving. Special order books and materials for instructors or staff, including Community Services offerings; conduct necessary research to locate hard to find items; work with instructors and Divisions to find alternate sources for books if shorted. This may entail contacting the publisher, searching the used book market, or contacting other college bookstores.
• Perform routine clerical work, including typing and computer usage.
• Operate a variety of modern office equipment, including computer, typewriter, fax machine, calculator, and cash register.
• Help maintain customer accounts on related software.
• Perform other related job duties as assigned.
• Assist with nightly store recovery and general maintenance.
• Retail operations and procedures.
• Methods of projecting needs and ordering to maintain adequate inventory of books and other merchandise.
• Pricing, discounting, and mark-up of merchandise.
• Inventory and stock control procedures.
• Basic bookkeeping and business math.
• Methods and practices of financial record keeping.
• Business etiquette for telephone and personal contacts.
• Contact vendors and make recommendations to management regarding purchase of bookstore inventory.
• Interact effectively with bookstore customers in a variety of situations, including working under the pressure of peak sales periods.
• Make arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
• Operate a variety of modern office equipment, including calculator, typewriter, computer, word processor, and cash register.
• Perform routine financial clerical work.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Accurately count, make change for and balance large amounts of cash.
• Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Schedule, assign, and direct the work of hourly and/or temporary workers.
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience:
• At least one year of experience in retail sales, preferably in a college or other bookstore, including some responsibility for purchase/ordering of stock, AND
• At least one year of general clerical or financial record keeping experience.
• Or, any combination of education and experience that would provide the required qualifications.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, ancillary-funded, 12-month per year classified position. The normal hours of work will be 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, with some flexibility required to meet the needs of the department. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the supervisor. The District reserves the right to extend, modify, or eliminate this position based upon available funds.
Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Coast Community College District policies, procedures, and Title IX. (Reference: BP/AP 5910)
The Coast Community College District celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the District's strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
PAY PHILOSOPHY: Starting salaries for support staff positions begin at Step-1 of the salary range. All movement on the salary schedule will occur July 1 of each year for all classified employees.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer