Executive Director, Presidents Office and Board Administration
Executive Director, Presidents Office and Board Administration
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: President's Office
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
WPI is seeking an administrative leader for the newly created role of Executive Director, President's Office and Board Administration. This role serves as a liaison on operational matters between the President's Office and all levels of management and other employees within the University, as well as external constituents including local, regional and national politicians, various individuals, boards, corporations and other higher education institutions.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Chief of Staff, the Executive Director will bring leadership, personal integrity, ethical management and professionalism in leading operations for the Office of the President and providing administrative support to the Board of Trustees.
The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the seamless operation of the President’s office, including budget, staff supervision and student assistants.
• Provide senior administrative support for the President’s Management Council and the President’s Diversity Council.
• Oversee President’s electronic mail, written correspondence and invitations to internal and external events, reviewing opportunities with both the President and VP, Chief of Staff and responding appropriately.
• Manage the President’s office website and multiple social media platforms.
• Work closely with University Advancement staff on the President’s Advancement travel plans and arrangements.
• Manage the President’s and University-level sponsorships and key community engagements in collaboration with the VP, Chief of Staff and Director of Government and Community Relations.
• Provide professional atmosphere and assure courteous and efficient handling of contacts with the President’s Office to individuals at all levels, both internal and external.
• Monitor the budgets of the Office of the President and work with the VP, Chief of Staff to resolve any anomalies or concerns.
• Support the VP, Chief of Staff in managing the Annual Planning and Budgeting Process
• Plan and execute all logistics related to successful campus events sponsored by the Office of the President and work closely with the President’s House Manager to coordinate events at the President’s residence.
• Serve as liaison for the President’s Office for Commencement, Touch Tomorrow and other major events.
• Perform tasks associated with special projects, as assigned with broad definition by the President and the VP, Chief of Staff.
• Provide supervision to the Executive Assistant to the President and student support staff.
• In partnership with the SVP, General Counsel and Board Secretary, serve as the President’s administrative liaison to WPI’s Board of Trustees.
• Working with members of the Management Council and Board Committee Chairs, coordinate pre-board planning meetings, ensures committee agendas and supporting documents are prepared and submitted in advance of Trustee meetings.
• Prepare and maintain online portal containing all agendas, records and minutes of the Board of Trustee meetings.
• Coordinate all logistics for Board of Trustee Meetings including travel arrangements, meal planning and lodging for routine and special meetings of the Board of Trustees.
• Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all Trustees.
• Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
• Facilitate new Trustee communications, onboarding and orientation.
• Maintain historical files of Board of Trustees and files on individual Trustees.
• Assist individual Trustees with campus engagement as needed.
• Provide senior level administrative and project support to the Vice President, Chief of Staff.
• Assist the Vice President, Chief of Staff with coordination of meetings and communications to the President’s Management Council and the President’s Diversity Council
• Perform related duties as necessary to support the Office of the President.
• Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
• Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders,
including faculty, staff, trustees, external partners and donors
• Expert level written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-
• Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
• Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Eight to ten years of successful experience providing senior level administrative and operational support to a President, CEO, senior executive or administrator.
• Ability to work independently on operational issues arising in all areas of the University as well as from outside constituencies.
• Strong and positive customer service and support experience within a highly visible office, including phone, written, and personal contact is required.
• Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, conflict management and intermediation, public relations, and advanced written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience preparing, reviewing, editing and disseminating financial information.
• Advanced knowledge and proficiency with all Microsoft Office products.
• Experience with event planning.
Preferred Education and Experience
• Relevant experience serving in a senior level administrative and/or operational support role in an institution of higher education, corporate or non-profit organization.
Posting Date: 07/12/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications and inquires will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications should include a cover letter, resume and professional references. Please submit electronically to Patricia Duarte, Decision Insight @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions will be carefully reviewed. Only those who are considered to be the best match with the position requirements will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability. We are looking for individuals who value creativity, diversity, inclusion, and collaboration.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4739
WPI, the nation's third oldest private technological university, established in 1865 by New England industrialists John Boynton and Ichabod Washburn consists of 80 acres set in a safe, residential section of Worcester, Massachusetts—the second largest city in New England—home to 13 colleges, and situated 40 miles west of Boston.