Senior Network Engineer
Florida’s newest state university is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as the Senior Network Engineer who works for and under the general direction of the Information Security Officer in the department Technology Services.
Responsibilities of the Senior Network Engineer include planning and designing the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems. Also analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models. Responsible for ensuring planned testing activities are executed.
Develop and implement of policies and procedures to ensure network systems meet University and end user requirements with an emphasis on network stability and security. Provide technology roadmaps governed by strategic direction, business requirements as well as resourcing and financial constraints. Coordinate with enterprise, server and applications engineers to ensure alignment across technology portfolios of University.
- Designs and implements network systems, conducts short- and long-term planning to meet network requirements. Design and deploy functional networks (LAN, WLAN, WAN)
- Configure and install software, servers, and other network devices
- Monitor network performance and integrity and automate tasks and monitor their effectiveness
- Configure and setup Firewalls/Security appliances for access to vital business applications
- Design, configure and setup complex switching environments
- Design, configure and setup complex wireless networking that supports open or secured access and the ability to support voice and video applications
- Maintain complete technical documentation for use by the network operations and support teams.
- Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
- Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors. Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.
- R&D, proof of concept evaluations, researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
- Ensures planned testing activities are performed and technical criteria are met. Disaster Recovery simulation exercise pre-planning and on-site support as needed
- Provides network planning recommendations to management. Develops capacity planning models.
- Evaluates services provided by vendors and recommends changes.
- Project management for IT Infrastructure-related initiatives
- Support network equipment to ensure proper operation including upgrades and installations.
- Help to develop and update network policies and procedures.
- Report, record, and work with departments to resolve network related issues and incidents.
- Resolve issues tiers of support have escalated by troubleshooting cloud and local infrastructure
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Create, manage and test security measures (e.g. access authentication and disaster recovery)
- Designs technical solutions and coordinates with the staff to ensure timely and accurate implementation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong working familiarity with Cisco IOS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and unified communication voice systems.
- Knowledge of Enterprise system monitoring and management tools.
Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to own issues and troubleshoot, find root cause analysis, and resolution.
- Proven experience with VMWare and Virtual Systems.
- Proven experience with Windows Active Directory Domains, and Servers.
- This position works under limited supervision.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- Preferred advanced degree in Information Technology or related field. Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Proven at least 3 years of relevant IT work experience as a network/system administrator, network, system, or security engineer
- 3+ years of current or recent professional experience designing and operating large enterprise networks (routing, switching, firewalls, Voice systems and VPN) and data center networks.
- Experience working with Linux and/or Windows servers, extensive experience with Windows Server Environments, Active Directory etc.
- Certifications such as Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), or Voice Professional (CCVP), or Wireless (CCNP Wireless), or Network Security (CCSP), CCNP Wireless, CCIE preferred
- Solid background in network administration and architecture
- In-depth understanding of communication protocols (mainly TCP/IP) and routing protocols (e.g. BGP, OSPF)
- Solid background in access control models and network security
- Experience with coding languages for scripting (e.g Python, Perl)
- Experience with network diagnostic, monitoring and analysis tools (e.g. PRTG, Nagios, network tools)
- Sharp troubleshooting skills and ability to work independently
- Experience in VPN creation and troubleshooting (IPSEC and GRE).
- Experience in IP Multicast.
- Experience in Video Conferencing systems and management
- Strong Visio/Documentation skills and other related tools
- Strong knowledge of VoIP implementation and support.
- Previous experience working in an educational institution preferred
- Experience with load balancer equipment preferred
- Familiarity with network, server, storage virtualization, i.e.VRF, VPN, and VMWare vSphere.
- Wireless design and support, experience with Cisco Unified Wireless networking to include; 802.11a, b, g & n, LWAPP, CAPWAP, WCS, WLC and APs.
- Solid understanding of network operating systems (Cisco IOS), ethernet switching technologies, experience with Cisco enterprise grade products to include: Nexus 7000, 6500, 4500, ISR G2, ACE/GSS, ASA, IPS/IDS, TACACS+, CUCM, Meeting Place/WebEX, Anyconnect.
- Advanced knowledge of IOS, NX-OS, EIGRP, BGP, GRE and OSPF.
- Regular contact with internal and external customers and contractor representatives involved with LAN/WAN design, network implementation, and network management.
- Advanced degree in Information Technology or related field. Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 to 70 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
Limited travel between University sites is required.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required. Available on call when needed and participate in weekly call rotation for after-hours support.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: $75,000 - $80,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled.