Director of Sports Nutrition
$5,166.67 - $5,833.33 per month. This position includes full benefits. This is a full-time, exempt position. Athletic Corporation employees are at-will.
Under direction of the Senior Associate Athletics Director/SWA and within the umbrella of Sports Medicine Services, the Director of Sports Nutrition will work closely with the Sports Medicine Staff and Strength and Conditioning Staff in supporting the athletic and nutritional goals of coaches and student-athletes. Within this collaborative group they will work to advance the overall objective of meeting the sports performance goals of all of the departments' intercollegiate athletic teams.
- Policy Development - Collaborate with Sports Medicine and Strength and Conditioning in development of policy and procedures relative to nutrition education, weight and body composition management, use of dietary supplements, prevention of heat illness and dehydration, fueling for optimal performance, ergogenic aids, injury and illness recovery and sport-specific nutrition.
- Education for Teams, Coaches and Sports Performance Areas - Provide counsel and recommendations to coaching staffs for nutrition during home and away competition as needed for sport specific fueling needs. Develop, coordinate and implement nutrition education, cooking programs and grocery store tours for student-athletes independently and in collaboration with student-athlete development programming. Oversee nutrition education material development, social media interactions, and student-athlete dining education material development. Assess and counsel student-athletes and staff on appropriate and legal use of dietary supplements, banned drugs and restricted substances in compliance with sport governing bodies; e.g. NCAA, U.S. Anti-doping Agency (USADA), World Anti-doping Agency (WADA) and the Fresno State Athletics Department.
- Nutrition Management - Oversee and manage Sports Nutrition budget including ordering, inventory and procurement of goods through vendors for fueling stations. Serves as department's liaison to third-party vendors and professional chefs in the operations of a department-wide training table. Serve as the department lead on the development and implementation of nutrition/fueling station programs. Compile reports for athletic administration, including but not limited to anticipated meal attendance, meal frequency, etc.
- Coordinate with Sports Medicine Staff and Team Physicians - Participate as a member of an interdisciplinary team on medically related nutrition concerns including medical screenings, treatment and ongoing medical management. Coordinate appropriate medical nutrition therapy for concerns such as disordered eating, anemia, diabetes, bone mineral disturbances, amenorrhea, hypertension, gastrointestinal concerns, food allergies and intolerances, and other medical conditions. Coordinate the management of student-athlete blood work and supplementation for nutrient deficiencies as prescribed by sports medicine staff and team physicians. Provide consistent communication to coaches, strength coaches, athletic trainers, team physicians, mental health staffs and administration regarding sports nutrition and sports performance related issues. As a member of this interdisciplinary team, assist in the assessment and counseling of student athletes regarding sport-specific and gender-specific recommendations for optimal body composition and weight for good health and athletic performance.
- Coordinates Individual Nutritional Counseling - Coordinate the assessment, education and counseling of student-athletes to include fueling for optimal performance, weight management, dietary supplements, prevention of heat illness and dehydration, ergogenic aids, sport injury and illness, sport-specific nutrition. Provide outpatient nutrition counseling services including evaluation, interpretation of patient data, treatment, reevaluation and discharge planning of patients referred from other health professionals and those utilizing direct access.
- Miscellaneous - Meet with prospective student-athletes as part of the recruiting process as requested. Maintain professional competency and certifications required for professional practice, including but not limited to current food, nutrition, and health issues and research related to sports nutrition. Maintain knowledge of and compliance with, specific NCAA, Mountain West Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position. Assist in advancing the department's mission, vision, and strategic plan including its commitment to equity and diversity. Position will work flexible hours which may including early mornings, evenings and weekends and may include periodic travel with team.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution in Nutrition or related field
- Registered Dietitian (Commission on Dietetic Registration) required
- Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD)
- Minimum of two years professional experience working with college age population and collegiate student-athletes
- Ability to:
- Exercise professional independent judgment and discretion
- Work effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds and project a professional attitude
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in Nutritional Sciences or related field
- Three or more years of professional experience
- Familiarity with NCAA regulations regarding supplements and health and safety of student athletes.
- Experience managing Division I Athletic Fueling Stations and Training Table Program
Deadline to Apply:
Applications received by July 27, 2017 will be given full consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
An Athletic Corporation Application, a resume, and a list of three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required.
Apply By Mail:
California State University, Fresno - Human Resources
5150 North Maple Avenue, M/S: JA41
Fresno, California 93740-8026						Apply By Fax or In Person:
Joyal Administration Building, Room 211
Phone: (559) 278-2032
Fax: (559) 278-4275
Thank you for your interest in a non-faculty position with the Athletic Corporation of California State University, Fresno.
The Athletic Corporation of California State University, Fresno is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action. Applicants will be considered without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status or disability. The Athletic Corporation actively seeks and encourages applications from members of all underrepresented groups. The Athletic Corporation is committed to providing equal opportunities to men and women CSU students in all campus programs, including intercollegiate athletics. The Athletic Corporation is associated with the University; however, employees of the Corporation are not employees of the University or the State of California.
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, crime report statistics are available at http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/.
Background investigations will be conducted, as required, depending upon the job requirements of a position. These could include, but are not limited to, processing of fingerprints through the Department of Justice and degree and license verifications. An offer of employment may or may not be extended based upon the results of these verifications.
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
Pursuant to Executive Order 883, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
University Information: (http://www.fresnostate.edu/)
Fresno State is one of 23 campuses of the California State University System. The university's mission is to offer high quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, as well as in joint doctoral programs in selected areas. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while interacting with the state, nation, and world. Through transformational applied research, technical assistance, training and other related public service activities, the University builds partnerships and linkages with business, education, industry, and government. The University competes athletically in Division I FBS and is a member of the Mountain West Conference.
The University's current enrollment is more than 24,000 students from diverse backgrounds, which creates a culturally rich environment. The campus, which has been designated as an arboretum, is spread over 1400 acres. Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000 is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within easy driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, Lake Tahoe, beaches, sailing lakes and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce
Please visit the Fresno State Jobs webpage for the Athletic Corporation Application and to view current listings of all available Athletic Corporation and University employment opportunities.