Educational Talent Search (METS): Program Coordinator
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, weve been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu/.
Reports to: METS Project Director
Supervises: Student Advisors (4-6)
Summary of Position:
The TRiO Program at Mills College has two components: Educational Talent Search (METS) and Upward Bound (UB). Both components are funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
Mills Educational Talent Search (METS) assists low-income, first generation, middle school and high school students in the City of Oakland by disseminating information on the college preparation process. METS staff is assigned to target high schools in the Oakland community and provides guidance in course selection, visits to local colleges, and the college application/financial aid process. Participants not enrolled in target schools attend workshops and advising sessions on the Mills College campus.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop strong working relationships with target schools administrators and community partners.
- Plan and implement METS program events and activities.
- Provide one-on-one or group academic and advising services to students at target schools.
- Identify and recruit eligible applicants. Assess and determine participants educational needs and academic potential.
- Develop and conduct career exploration, academic preparation, and personal development workshops.
- Assist participants in completing applications for admission to post-secondary institutions, as well as assistance with financial aid and scholarships.
- Provide administrative assistance as needed; including scheduling college representative visits and maintaining library of college information for students.
- Enter data in the Microsoft Access database and the prepare data and information for Talent Search Annual Performance Reports (APR).
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date participants files.
- Attends and leads program orientations, trainings, field trips, monthly seminars, and meetings.
- Supervise, organize, and direct activities of METS Student Advisors, Program Assistants, volunteers, and participants.
- Design and monitor various sources of social media, forms, and spreadsheets for tracking/documentation of programmatic records.
- Assist with planning, implementation, and evaluation of the summer enrichment program and program activities.
- Responsible for planning and conducting fundraising projects and events.
- Responsible for assisting with all operational facets of the METS Program.