The overall purpose of this position is to perform tasks and duties related to the maintenance, repair, and upkeep of the buildings, equipment and grounds of the University. The primary duties of this position is to perform a variety of Groundskeeper and Maintenance functions, including but not limited to grounds management, mowing lawns, snow removal, trimming of shrubs and small trees, planting, and. operation of grounds equipment and machinery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Directs, coordinates, schedules and performs grounds maintenance work with supervisor approval.
• Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of University properties including painting, remodeling, and general carpentry, light electrical, repair or replace plumbing fixtures, gaskets and valves, clears stoppages, etc
• Enter and track maintenance work orders using computerized maintenance management system, including work status, labor and materials.
• May make recommendations for the selection of grounds equipment and materials.
• Assist in proper training and supervision of new employees and student workers.
• Weeds out undesirable plant species from plant beds by hand or with use of rake, hoe or appropriate hand tools.
• Mows and edges lawn areas with power mowers and edgers.
• Waters lawns, shrubs, ground cover by use of appropriate manual or automatic systems or hoses when necessary.
• Prunes and trims shrubs and plants with appropriate hand tools, pole pruners, etc.
• Picks up trash and debris in assigned areas by hand, vacuum, sweeper or power blowers.
• Rakes and sweeps leaves and other debris from shrub beds and branches or other trash from wooded or otherwise assigned areas.
• Washes down sidewalks and/or shoves mud and debris from walkways, roads, porches and outdoor terraces in order to keep campus in a clean and sanitary condition.
• Drives tractors, operates power trimmers, vacuums, blowers, trenchers, roto-tillers and other similar pieces of machinery.
• Uses snow plows, snow blowers and other snow removal equipment
• Is responsible for supporting cost savings, quality improvement and safety related goals, projects and initiatives.
• Performs other duties as required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: High school diploma required
Experience: Minimum of two years' experience in Building repair, grounds keeping and snow removal.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to continuously reach and work overhead. The employee is also required to frequently stand, walk, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, and use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel. The employee is also required to occasionally sit, crawl, climb into and out of the waste collections truck, operate foot controls on automobiles and equipment, push/pull and lift/carry equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds, and work while on ladders, staging, and lifts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Will also be exposed to various levels of heat and cold.