Executive Director of the Transportation Institute
For best consideration, please send all confidential nominations, inquiries and expressions of interest by August 15, 2017 to:
MJL Executive Consultants, LLC
Applications submitted through the DUJobs website will NOT be considered.
The University of Denver seeks nominations and applications for the position of:
Executive Director of the Transportation Institute (DTI)
The University of Denver is searching for an Executive Director of the Transportation Institute (DTI). This position functions as the CEO of the Transportation Institute (DTI) and is responsible for the implementation of policies and programs set forth by the University and in consultation with the DTI Board of Directors. As such, the Executive Director participates in all DTI board meetings and is accountable to present the DTI strategy and agenda to the University and the DTI board, seek and incorporate feedback, and deliver and communicate on-going results and progress against DTI strategy and goals.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Dean of University College; it is a position that is selected jointly by the University (Dean of University College) and the DTI board and serves at the pleasure of the University (Dean of University College). This position works closely with the DTI Board Chair, the DTI Board President, and the DTI Board Executive Committee. This position provides general oversight, management, and financial and operational administration of DTI, an interdisciplinary academic unit within the college of professional and continuing studies, University College, in partnership with the transportation industry, which is represented by the fifty-member board with senior representatives from transportation freight, passenger, shipper and logistics organizations.
The Executive Director will engage in positive, productive, professional, and interpersonal relationships throughout the University, with the DTI Board, alumni, students, and with external constituencies. The role requires diplomacy to establish and maintain cohesive, productive relationships at the greater University, with corporate partners, and with the community. The successful candidate must be willing to be a part of and promote an inclusive team and work culture and demonstrate results-oriented leadership.
Depending on the background of the candidate, the opportunity for a one-year appointment as a faculty member, renewable annually, in the teaching professor series may be possible. Should faculty status be awarded, the individual will have teaching responsibilities in the program. With the faculty appointment the primary affiliation for employment status and benefits will be as a faculty, not staff, member.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the transportation industry, including public/private sectors, passenger and freight, carrier operations and shipper operations.
- Strong knowledge of budget development.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a style that creates a collaborative work environment, promotes high employee engagement, demonstrates the ability to coach and develop team members and deliver high performance that meets or exceeds annual goals.
- Ability to interact and build strong personal relationships with Board members and senior executives in the Transportation and Logistics Industry.
- Demonstrated experience in team building, personnel development, management of budgets, and proficiency in computer applications.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence and effectively present information to varied constituents.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work effectively with diverse communities.
- Master's degree or equivalent work/industry experience.
- 7 years of business-related management/administrative experience.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders, including executives, faculty, board of directors, and community groups.
- Master's degree and/or PhD in transportation or business related field.
- 10 years of management/leadership experience in the transportation industry.
- Board and/or public policy relationship management experience in the transportation industry.
- Teaching and/or education administrative experience in non-traditional and professional education programs.
- Established, or ability to establish, strong transportation industry network.
- Experience in marketing communication to support student and board recruiting and public policy forums.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.