Lead Investigator, Title IX
Lead Investigator, Title IX
Louisiana State University
Reporting to the LSU Title IX Coordinator, the Lead Investigator oversees complaints related to Title IX, including sexual misconduct, involving employees, students, and persons who serve Louisiana State University as its agents. This position has primary responsibility for managing the daily responsibilities associated with conducting investigations of incidents, as reported to and in close collaboration with the LSU Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinators and Campus Coordinators.
When a complaint is filed, the Title IX Coordinator and Lead Investigator will receive the report. Once the report is reviewed, action will be taken by the Lead Investigator or designee to initiate inquiry or investigation. This position, partnered with a local campus-based trained investigator, will then oversee or conduct a prompt and thorough investigation, including: identifying and interviewing involved parties; gathering and securing relevant documentation; and identifying other information that would be helpful in bringing the matter to a resolution. The incumbent acts as an impartial party in the investigation and provides a detailed report summarizing the findings of the investigation, in accordance with Title IX requirements and LSU’s PM73 Policy.
This position will be housed in Baton Rouge but overnight, in state travel will be required on an as needed basis to meet campus investigation needs. Additional travel (in or out of state) would apply for required annual professional development purposes.
The scope of this position will serve approximately 50,000 students and 15,000 employees across nine LSU campuses.
• Receives complaints of Title IX related discrimination; which may include but is not limited to; sexual assault, sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, gender-related violence including stalking and intimate partner/dating/domestic violence, retaliation
• Identifies options for interim and long term remedies, collaborating with campus and community partners as resources
• Ensures parties and stakeholders are informed about investigation processes
• Exercises judgment regarding resolution of complaints including informal resolution and referrals for formal investigation practices
• Conducts and oversees prompt, equitable and impartial administrative investigations into complaints including identifying and interviewing parties and identifying, gathering and assessing information relevant to the investigation; apply relevant policies and making finding of fact in individual cases with LSU students, employees and affiliates to meet University and regulatory requirements
• Documents the investigation process, prepares investigative reports, and catalogs history in relevant information systems including EthicsPoint, Maxient and LSU Legacy
• Serves as case manager to ensure timely response to and processing of complaints
• Communicates with LSU Title IX Coordinator and Campus Coordinators, as needed, on individual cases and broader scope of policy and practice
• Partners with Campus Coordinator, campus based investigator or centralized investigator to conduct inquiry or investigation (LSU uses a co-investigator model)
• Communicates with campus partners including, but not limited to, student conduct; human resources and LSUPD, regarding case process and adjudication
• Conducts appropriate follow up or makes referrals, as needed
• Maintains privacy of highly sensitive, complex civil rights, legal, human resource and student conduct information
• Provides proactive consultation and education to campus community
• Continuously identify and integrate best practices in the Title IX investigation arena into knowledge base and practice
• Assists Title IX Coordinator in preparation of annual reports, analytics, campus climate survey and other projects necessary to advance the objectives of Title IX related work
• Master’s degree and five years related experience in EEO/AA, ADA, human resources, student conduct or related area
• Experience conducting civil rights investigations and complaint/grievance resolution
• Thorough knowledge of relevant state and federal laws and regulations surrounding Title IX and related issues
• Demonstrated organization, synthesis and analysis of varied, complex and sensitive information
• Ability to conduct interviews and investigations with trauma informed and inclusive practices
• Strong ability to clearly communicate with diverse constituencies, orally and in writing
• Experience supervising full-time, professional staff
• JD, PhD, or Ed.D in related area
• Professional certification or training in the area of Title IX
• Direct experience overseeing investigations of civil rights issues in a university
• Demonstrated competency in utilizing case management software such as Maxient, EthicsPoint or other similar platform
• Directly related experience in equity/diversity field in an educational institution or large organization
• Successful demonstration of multicultural competence and commitments to social justice principles
• Directly supervises Title IX/PM73 Investigators (forthcoming)
• Provides guidance and support on all LSU campuses to Campus Coordinators, Deputy Coordinators and adjunct investigative staff
• Reports to the LSU Title IX Coordinator
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; annual and sick leave; 14 paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption; training and development opportunities; employee discounts and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity/equal access employer
HCM Contact Information:
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed HR@lsu.edu.