RESEARCH PROGRAM LEADER, SR
RESEARCH PROGRAM LEADER, SR
Job Opportunity: Research Program Leader for Duke Global Digital Health Science Center
We are seeking an experienced Research Program Leader to assist in the oversight of several projects at the Duke Global Digital Health Science Center. The ideal candidate is someone who is excited about the opportunity to work on cutting edge projects focused at the interface of digital health, obesity, nutrition, and chronic disease. Working under the Center Director and Associate Director - Drs. Gary Bennett and Dori Steinberg - the Program Leader will provide high-level administrative management and support for programmatic development of center studies and programs. In addition, the Program Leader will direct a large-scale NIH funded study - Charge - that will test how to best to optimize a text messaging for weight loss. Other projects at the center include a pragmatic trial testing a digital health intervention in primary care and the use of digital health to improve diet quality.
The Duke Global Digital Health Science Center
Founded in 2014, the Duke Global Digital Health Science Center (Duke Digital Health) is the first of its kind — an integrated research program for the discovery, evaluation, and dissemination of digital health interventions for socioeconomically disadvantaged populations, domestic and international. The Center is guided by the hypothesis that understanding how low income populations use information technologies can help to ensure their access to critical health information and interventions in an increasingly connected global society. The Center designs rigorous research and a host of multi-site programs to answer myriad subjects related to digital health. These questions span a wide range of academic areas, such as psychology and behavioral science, nutrition and physical activity, with the primary focus on obesity. Center funding partners have included the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders, the United States Department of Agriculture, the George Institute for Global Health, the Social Entrepreneurial Accelerator at Duke, Social and Scientific Systems, Inc. and Harvard University.
Development and Leadership of the Charge trial:
- Direct trial implementation, ensuring high rates of recruitment and retention, and ensure intervention is delivered according to protocol.
- Manage study staff, including research assistants, programmer, and biostatistician.
- Lead weekly team calls with each of the above to promote project progress
- Manage human subject's protections processes
Coordination and Support:
General administrative support for the research projects and center, including:
- Supervision of center staff
- Budget and resource management in coordination with administration
- Coordination of leadership and scientific committees, journal clubs, meetings and events
- Coordination of and participation in calls, program meetings and retreats, including note taking and circulation
Center Growth Development:
The RPM will have responsibility for independently identifying, developing and overseeing research and program development processes for the Center including:
- Initiating strategic alliances
- Identifying and overseeing regulatory needs
- Interfacing with program investigators, collaborators, and funders.
- S/he will meet regularly with leadership to review metrics, discuss updates to protocols, address issues and communicate changes in the program as well as make suggestions for improving operational and financial performance.
Grant Identification and Writing:
The RPM will help with grant support, including:
- Identification of funding opportunities for both center funding and research funding
- Writing, editing and facilitating correspondence among grant writers
- Writing of peer-reviewed manuscripts
1281 RESEARCH PROGRAM LEADER, SR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires one of the following: 1.Completion of a bachelor's degree plus, a minimum of eight years of research experience 2.Completion of a master's degree, plus a minimum of six years of research experience 3.Completion of a doctoral degree, plus a minimum of three years of research experience.
• Master's degree or doctorate from an accredited institution in Public Health, Nutrition, Health Behavior, Global Health Sciences, related area such as Nursing or Social Work.
• Relevant management or consulting experience in an academic, non-profit, private sector, clinic and/or health services organization
• Experience in project management and/or research administration including complex budgets and contracts
• Experience supervising study staff
• Proven talent at facilitating strategic collaboration and team building. Ability to think clearly and strategically - to see the forest rather than the trees
• Ability to solve problems. Ability to present problems and solutions effectively to faculty and staff
• Cultural sensitivity and ability to work with individuals from a variety of different backgrounds
• Ability to exercise good judgment to identify and handle sensitive and confidential issues and assignments with discretion
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills for grant and report writing, technical writing and editing, presentations, and other materials
• Ability to multi-task. Excellent attention to detail, follow-through, and accuracy of information; ability to display a commitment to high standards
• Training or experience relevant to digital health, obesity, nutrition, physical activity
• PhD preferred
Interested candidates must apply to this requisition and should send a CV and cover letter to Hallie Davis-Penders at email@example.com.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.