Internal Director of Development/Writer, College of Engineering and Applied Science
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. The college's mission is to generate new knowledge in engineering and related fields, and to equip students from diverse backgrounds to become leaders and citizens responsible for the betterment of individuals and society. Our vision is to be a recognized world leader for excellence and innovation in engineering research and education, with an emphasis on inclusive excellence, active learning and global society.
CEAS seeks an experienced professional to join our Advancement team. This position is part of a professional and high-performing advancement team that generates philanthropic support and overall external engagement for the college. Through these philanthropic and engagement efforts, the college is able to attract the brightest students, support and grow our talented faculty and strengthen our overall academic and co-curricular programs as we build a foundation of excellence for the future of the College of Engineering and Applied Science, CU Boulder, and the state of Colorado.
The Internal Director of Development/Writer will be a writing and customer service professional, with minimum of 5-7 years of writing experience in addition to fundraising, sales, or public relations experience. This position focuses on the development of relationships with CU engineering faculty as we seek to expand philanthropic support for their work and the college's strategic priorities.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Manage a portfolio consisting of a minimum of 40 faculty contacts. Goals relating to number of personal visits, group setting contact reports, referrals, and written projects (e.g. case language, onepagers, and other Advancement collateral) to be set with and approved by management.
- Work to cultivate internal relationships with the intent of: improving frontline fundraiser understanding of faculty and department needs; strengthening the relationship between departments and the CEAS Advancement team; improving Advancement's ability to communicate faculty activities externally to funders; and strengthening/supporting faculty connections to alumni, foundation and industry supporters.
- May manage a portfolio of selected foundation contacts. Goals relating to letters of inquiry (LOIs), proposals, proposal assists, site visits, and stewardship reports to be set with and approved by management.
- Work with advancement staff and faculty to draft more extensive white papers and principal or major gift proposals aligned to donor requirements. Describe complex technical matters in clear, persuasive language and presents concise rationales for philanthropy.
- Maintain a clear understanding of all advancement and fundraising goals, strategies, and messages. Articulate this information appropriately and effectively.
- Conduct research and independently incorporate changes, comments, and critiques from multiple reviewers using exceptional writing, and editing skills; exercise sound judgment with regard to strategy, appropriate points of emphasis, and persuasive impact.
- Work daily to ensure timely, accurate completion of all materials. Submit drafts and final proposals within Corporate & Foundation Relations (CFR) deadlines and filing appropriate information in the CRM database.
- Interface closely with the College of Engineering & Applied Science's Research Office.
- Serve as liaison to the Campus Advancement corporate and foundations team and collaborates in partnering with CU Boulder's Office of Research and Innovation.
- Document contacts with faculty, alumni and friends. Evaluates new connections and recommends external contacts for CEAS Advancement team.
- Attend college and department events, lectures, and seminars to build a presence with key faculty.
- Represent the Office of Advancement at University events, as needed.
Where We Work:
Set in the foothills of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, CU Boulder is building a vision for Advancement that will support and propel the University to great achievements in research, education and innovation.
What we can offer:
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be innovative. Be effective. Be visionary. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least 3-5 years of experience writing in a professional setting.
- Experience writing materials in support of fundraising and campaign priorities (i.e. white papers, case statements, brochures, newsletters, web content and other communications).
- Minimum of 5-7 years of fundraising, sales, or public relations experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Internet navigation tools.
What you will need:
- Expert ability to communicate verbally and to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships.
- Expert and demonstrated ability to write and edit compelling, clear, and accurate content to diverse audiences, for general publication.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Expert ability to handle sensitive information discretely and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and set priorities in a fast paced environment; must have ability to work independently and collaboratively, and adapt to changing priorities.
What we'd like you to have:
- Writing experience in development and/or an engineering discipline.
- Prior experience researching content and generating ideas through interviews, online searches, and other information gathering mechanisms.
- Familiarity with publication processes-from conception to content development to design, production, printing, and distribution-and ability to think visually.
- Fluency with AP or Chicago style strongly preferred.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by July 27, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10251.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11007 - UCB Development Administration
Posting Date: Jul 13, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 27, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00001199