Medical Assistant (Health Care Tech I)
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of OB-GYN, Division of Advanced Reproductive Medicine
Medical Assistant (Health Care Tech I)
Position #729845 - Requisition 10300
The Division of Advanced Reproductive Medicine has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Medical Assistant (Health Care Tech I) position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The Reproductive Endocrinology Practice sees patients for a variety of infertility problems and also for various gynecologic disorders. This practice provides diagnosis and treatment for these patients at a practice location in Denver, CO.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for a Medical Assistant (Health Care Technician I). This full-time, University Staff (unclassified) position in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology will be responsible for assisting physicians and nurses in the CU ARM Stapleton practice by setting up the patient rooms, clearing and preparing rooms, cleaning equipment, providing basic patient monitoring, obtaining vitals, conducting blood draws, assisting during procedures, answering phones, scheduling patients, checking in patients, collecting copays, registering patients, and checking messages on front desk and nurse phones. Returning calls to patients. This position includes weekend hours.
This position will follow established work procedures and will operate within standard guidelines when setting up rooms, clearing and preparing equipment for procedures and running labs. This position will also learn to run the analyzer in the Andrology Laboratory to process in-house bloods, and will act as a back-up when there is no andrologist available to run these tests and on the weekends.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Prepares exam rooms for procedures and exams, including setting up sterile and non-sterile procedure trays and setting up the exam table.
- Assists physicians during exams and procedures, including basic patient monitoring (e.g., blood pressure, pulse, etc) and handling non-sterile supplies.
- Maintains clinic equipment by cleaning equipment after procedures and preparing instrument trays for sterilization.
- Cleans exam rooms and ultrasound rooms after exams and procedures, which including disposing of non-hazardous materials (patient drapes, etc.).
- Assists the Reproductive Endocrinology Practice Manager with chart set-up, equipment and supply monitoring/ordering, and patient follow-up.
- Performs semen analyses and other hormonal tests using the analyzer machine.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $34,260 - $41,316 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant Program is required at the time of application.
Conditions of Employment:
- Posses a current and valid CPR Certification, or be willing able and eligible to secure certification within 30 days of hire. Failure to complete certification within 30 days may result in termination of employment.
- Graduate from an accredited medical assistant program and posses a current and valid Medical Assistant Certification, OR be willing, able and eligible to obtain certification within six months of hire. Failure to complete certification within 6 months may result in termination of employment.
Must be willing and able to...
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Bilingual, Spanish preferred.
- Six months experience providing medical assistance or an externship in an OB/GYN, Reproductive or closely related medical office.
- Experience scheduling patients for appointments using electronic software.
- Experience taking blood pressure and pulse.
- Experience performing blood draws.
- Experience setting up sterile and non-sterile procedure trays and medical procedure rooms.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, and a fast learner.
- Excellent time management, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to follow established work procedures and standard guidelines related to patient/practice support in the Reproductive Endocrinology Practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of medical chart preparation and set-up and lab form completion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of d professional references. Questions should be directed to LuAnn Lacey at LuAnn.Lacey@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21583 - SOM-OB/GYN ARM
Posting Date: Jul 13, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: LuAnn Lacey
Posting Contact Email: LuAnn.Lacey@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00729845