Laboratory Assistant 3
Salary: $41,640 - $49,572
Title: Laboratory Assistant 3
Category: Science and Research
Date Posted: 07/13/2017
Position Information: Provide lab and field research assistance in PI Matt Daugherty's lab related to management of the Asian citrus psyllid. The candidate will support a postdoctoral researcher in efforts to evaluate the efficacy of insecticide treatments and monitor for Asian citrus psyllid in commercial citrus and retail nursery settings. This will include field trials at university research plots and in commercial groves, surveys of nursery citrus, and plant sample collection and processing in the lab to quantify insect abundance and insecticide residues.
Minimum Requirements: -Education and/or experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in Entomology, Biology, or related science field
-Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact with post-doctoral researcher, undergraduate research assistants, CDFA personnel, homeowners, nursery employees, etc.
-Demonstrated knowledge and application of laboratory safety procedures and regulations
-Valid driver's license and ability to operate a university vehicle, occasionally alone and outside of normal business hours
-Experience with basic computer data entry
-Experience keeping detailed and accurate records of field site details, laboratory and sample processing techniques, and experiment data
-Experience identifying and collecting plant and insect samples, including recognition of insect life stages
-Demonstrated knowledge of the appropriate use of backpack sprayer and associated safety equipment for insecticide application
Preferred Qualifications: -Ability to work independently and as part of a team
-Basic knowledge of Spanish
-Experience working in a field setting
-Ability to recognize common citrus varieties and their relatives
-Experience using a microplate reader
- Possess Qualified Applicator Certification
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview