Extension Nutritional Assistant I (Independence, KS)
General Description of Position: This position provides nutrition education to low-income families with young children. Proficient in English verbal/written communication skills required. Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred. Skill working with limited resource families preferred. Demonstrates knowledge and ability of social support services and agencies in communities where programming will occur. Valid driver's license, car insurance and reliable transportation needed upon employment.
This position is located in Independence, KS. This position is benefits eligible, limited term.Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. Job Description:
- Deliver educational programming in food and nutrition and money management to low-income individuals using a variety of program delivery models including individual and group teaching, walk-by lessons, demonstrations and/or distribution of printed materials.
- Maintains linkages with community agencies. Follows through on agency referrals. Promotes FNP with cooperating agencies.
- Conduct evaluation of participants learning and behavior changes.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely records and reports on a daily/weekly basis.
- Participate in training including office conferences, statewide trainings, and annual EFNEP/SNAP-Ed conference in order to improve nutrition knowledge, teaching methodology and record keeping skills.
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) effectively in English and Spanish.
- Ability to relate to and work with program members, co-workers, personnel from other organizations and the general public.
- Ability to plan and prepare nutritious family meals.
- Ability to mentor families to adopt healthy lifestyles.
- KNOWLEDGE OF LIMITED RESOURCE AUDIENCE:
- Skill in dealing with problems of persons living in economically disadvantaged communities.
- KNOWLEDGE OF FOOD AND NUTRITION AND FOOD SAFETY:
- Knowledge of basic principles of food preparation, nutrition and food safety.
- Knowledge of breastfeeding.
- JOB READINESS AND TEACHING SKILLS:
- Ability to input data and keep records and reports as required by Federal program guidelines.
- Ability to evaluate client progress and determine client's needs.
- Skills for teaching children and adults.
- Two years experience in managing a household or other work involving basic life skills such as housework, cooking, childcare, hospital or nursing home experience.
- Vocational or college study in foods and nutrition of family and consumer sciences may be substituted for the required experience at the rate of one course for six months of experience.