Postdoctoral Fellow (Cheminformatics)
Postdoctoral Fellow (Cheminformatics)
Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a full-time, exempt, fully benefits eligible Postdoctoral Fellow (Cheminformatics) in support of the College’s pending NSF grant, “The Dark Reaction Project: A machine-learning approach to exploring structural diversity in solid-state synthesis.” This position is for an initial one year term, with the potential for up to four years pending successful performance and continuation of funding. Fulfillment of this position is contingent on funding approval.
The hired postdoctoral research fellow will conduct scientific research on applications of cheminformatics to solid-state compound formation, structure, and properties. This work includes: developing new reaction descriptors and structural outcome descriptors based on geometry, non-covalent interactions, and electron density, and developing machine learning based models for predicting crystal quality, structural and optoelectronic properties, and compound stability based on these data. The postdoctoral fellow will work closely with colleagues in computer science to implement new types of machine learning tools for experiment planning.
The successful candidate will have previous, doctoral-level experiences in software development for cheminformatics, computational chemistry and/or solid-state materials.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Conduct scientific research on solid-state compound formation, structure, and properties
- Develop descriptors and machine learning models applicable to solid state materials
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Ph.D. in Cheminformatics or computational Chemistry/Physics/Materials Science
- The successful candidate will have previously demonstrated experience in informatics-based approaches to chemical/materials problems and demonstrated expertise in computer programming. Previous experience with solid-state materials, machine-learning, and database development is highly desirable.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Never
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Never
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Never
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Never
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Never
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Never
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their application, to include a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Postdoctoral-Research-Fellow-3_R19. For full consideration, please apply by August 1, 2017.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.