Fire Sprinkler Designer
~~Summary Uses CAD equipment to provide support to Engineering department by preparing routine layouts of fire sprinkler systems, detail drawings, assembly drawings, sketches and diagrams. Details to include all views and dimensions necessary for installation. Make copies of drawings and maintains information regarding changes to database. Makes simple decisions but refers most questions / problems to lead designers or chief engineer. Solid understanding of drafting techniques and familiarity with design and fire sprinkler terminology. Mechanical aptitude with ability to complete basic mathematical calculations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Designs fire protection sprinkler systems with as much accuracy and detail as possible to enable the field installation to be completed with as few design errors as possible.
• Reviews work order and procedural manuals to determine critical dimensions of design and designs fire protection sprinkler systems within allocated hours for each job.
• Calculates figures to convert design dimensions to resizing dimensions specified for subsequent production, layout and installation processes.
• Submits design plans to proper department leadership for approval and obtains permits as required. Confers with engineering and design staff to determine design modifications and enters editing information into computer.
• Keys in specified information to produce graphic representation (hard copy) of design for review and approval by engineering and design staff.
• Makes final sketch of proposed drawing, checking dimension of parts, materials to be used, relation of one part to another, and relation of various parts to whole structure or project.
• Make revisions to size, shape and arrangement of parts to create practical design drawings.
• Sketches rough layout of system and computes angles, weights, surface areas, dimensions, radii, clearances, tolerances, leverages and location of holes.
• Drafts detailed multi-view drawings of layout and systems.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies :
• Analytical - Collects and researches data.
• Design - Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
• Problem Solving - Works well in group problem solving situations.
• Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
• Interpersonal Skills - Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
• Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically.
• Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
• Professionalism - Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Applies feedback to improve performance.
• Quantity - Completes work in timely manner.
• Adaptability - Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
One year certificate from college or technical school; or 18 to 24 months related experience and/or training in the design of fire alarm, water, foam and gas delivery systems; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of CAD Design software and Micro Soft Office products Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• NICET Level 1 Certification
Other Skills and Abilities
• Ability to read blueprints for fire sprinkler layout.
• Ability to make technical presentation internally and to customers.
• Must have a sound working knowledge of NFPA 13 and related codes.
• Prefer to have survey skills and an understanding of the construction coordination process.
Physical Demands and Work Environment The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and depth perception. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
COSCO Fire Protection is a multifaceted, full service fire sprinkler and life safety systems company specializing in the installation, service and inspection of a wide variety of automatic fire sprinkler systems, fire alarm (life safety systems), kitchen suppression, extinguishers and special hazard systems throughout the West Coast. COSCO Fire Protection is currently expanding our service operations throughout all of our district locations and offers tremendous opportunities to those service minded individuals in the fire protection/life safety marketplace
Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:19:42 PDT