Bookstore Operations/Buyer Associate
Bookstore Operations/Buyer Associate
Job Summary: Haverford College seeks to hire a non-exempt, full time, fully benefits eligible Bookstore Operations/Buyer Associate whose responsibilities will include receiving and invoicing merchandise/ textbooks, maintaining credit, vendor, and merchandise files. The position provides organizational and clerical support on a daily, weekly and annual schedule, and facilitates product research, which includes evaluating, purchasing, stocking and maintaining inventory levels and reconciling all details on a daily basis. This position will require occasional weekends, evening, and special event coverage.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Maintain and verify all vendor payables and credits. Troubleshoot any discrepancies and seek acceptable resolutions. File all approved invoices and credits weekly and confirm payments through current payable system, create list of weekly payables and forward all information for check creation
- Prioritize daily tasks quickly, work with minimal supervision, and adapt to the rapidly changing needs of a retail and administrative department in an academic environment
- Maintain daily operations related to store functions including but not limited to the set-up of registers, maintaining and reconciling cash reserves and retrieving register reports. Record daily store and web sales, and ensure all tenders are received and verified by the Business Office. Assist at registers and work with student workers on a daily and as needed basis
- Research and purchase food, beverage, and other merchandise as directed to ensure a consistent inventory. Check for damages and organize returns for credits. Interact with suppliers, drivers and accounts payable as necessary. Assist with supervision of student workers with stocking and inventory. Research and purchase ancillary items for the store, such as lab materials, moving boxes to sell at the end of each semester, office/register supplies and bookstore consumable supplies
- Receive shipments; verify orders and stock merchandise items. Process purchase orders and receiving before authorizing vendor payments through the College’s payment system
- Possess working knowledge of operating systems related to retail sales to facilitate multiple projects simultaneously
- Assist in special projects such as book signings on campus and in the store, setting up and servicing special sales, and store preparations for annual inventory.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of two years’ experience required
- Experience in a bookstore setting preferred
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Experience with accounting and purchasing software, such as MBS, or comparable platform, preferably in an academic environment
- Experience with Workday desirable
- Ability to multi task on a daily basis
- Proficiency with inventory systems
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Web proficiency
- Ability and willingness to learn new software and hardware as needed
- Strong organizational prioritizing and problem solving skills
- Team Player\Building positive working relationships
Special Requirement: This position will require occasional evening, weekend and special event coverage.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds): Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Three to six hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their application, to include a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references to https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Bookstore-Operations-Buyer-Associate_R22. For full consideration, please apply by Monday, July 24, 2017.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.