Assistant Director, United Way Youth Venture
Since 1963, Mount Wachusett Community College has built a tradition of providing innovative undergraduate education, workforce development, personal enrichment, and community service to North Central Massachusetts and beyond. Located in Gardner, MA, with satellite campuses in Fitchburg, Leominster and Devens, MWCC now serves approximately 12,000 credit and noncredit students each year and offers over 70 associate degree and credit certificate options. An award-winning, national leader in the area of renewable energy, MWCC is also nationally recognized for its veterans' services, civic engagement and K-12 partnerships.
We hope you will consider applying for one of our open positions, and discover all that Mount Wachusett Community College and the North Central Massachusetts region have to offer.
General Statement of Duties
The Assistant Director will be responsible for assisting with daily oversight of UWYV program implementation at partner sites of United Way Youth Venture, a program that engages youth in the creation and development of their own socially benefiting and socially entrepreneurial clubs and organizations, both locally and across the nation. The program is housed under the Stephen M. Brewer Center for Civic Learning and Community Engagement at Mount Wachusett Community College. United Way Youth Venture (UWYV) is a partnership between Mount Wachusett Community College, the United Way of North Central Massachusetts, and Ashoka's Youth Venture.
The Assistant Director will assist with the development, implementation, appropriate growth, and evaluation of UWYV. This role also supervises contracted UWYV Champions (partner school liaisons) and outreach field staff supporting UWYV.
- Supervise program staff and UWYV Champions, ensuring that program staff is oriented to the program and expectations are communicated.
- Conduct annual personnel evaluations with full-time staff.
- Develop and implement staff orientation, ensuring consistent training and expectations for both short-term and permanent staff.
- Provide "field team" leadership, mentoring Commonwealth Corps Service Members as needed, and ensuring coordination of mission and vision at all UWYV sites.
- Design and coordinate staff training to ensure knowledge and capacity to meet program delivery needs.
Youth Outreach and Support:
- Responsible for organization, coordination and promotion of annual youth conference event (Fall Kick-Off), Spring Showcase, Administrators Breakfast, as well as other programmatic events throughout the year.
- Oversee direct implementation of the program at partner sites, ensuring regular and high quality interaction of staff with the youth engaged in the program.
- Allocate equal attention to recruitment and retention of youth in UWYV programming, including retention of Venture Teams.
- In collaboration with staff, design and deliver high quality workshops, ensuring consistency of experience and support for community partners in program implementation with students.
- Work with Program Manager to integrate external policies, curriculum, trends, and environmental factors into UWYV programming.
Partner School Outreach and Support:
- Manage outreach to school administration, UWYV Champions, Allies (adult volunteers), community partners and students, including oversight of development of outreach materials, social media and activities to support the integration of UWYV to area schools, prospective and participating youth and the greater community.
- Support Champions in implementation of UWYV at partnering schools/organizations.
- Develop and conduct trainings, orientations and training materials for Champions, Allies, and others in support of UWYV, as well as the youth engaged in the program.
- Provide implementation support and feedback regarding Changemaker Education Framework initiative (supporting school districts with professional development around creating a culture of changemakers) as needed.
- Ensure grant compliance and coordinate reporting for all funding sources supporting the UWYV program, including providing support to the grant writing process to help maintain, support, and/or enhance the UWYV program.
- Responsible for programmatic evaluations of students, adults and community partners engaged in UWYV, including recommending and implementing strategies for program and process improvements.
- Prepare reports for the college, the United Way of North Central Massachusetts, and other entities as required, including preparation for an annual site visit to ascertain program quality.
- Project and analyze accurate budgets and accounting for funding as it pertains to United Way Youth Venture.
- Develop, disseminate aggregate and synthesize reports to/from UWYV Champions in order to monitor program outputs and outcomes and ensure programmatic effectiveness.
- Foster relationships with other (national) UWYV programs, contributing best practices and working with Program Manager to develop and conduct UWYV Implementation Trainings as needed for a national audience.
- Responsible for assisting in strategic planning with Director for UWYV programming, ensuring alignment and consistency with MWCC strategic and annual plans.
- Work with Development Officer to identify opportunities to connect potential donors and volunteers to program events and initiatives, including Venture Team panel presentations.
- Present program updates and share outcomes with UWYV stakeholders and related industry leaders.
- Active involvement in departmental and college-wide community, inclusive of serving on committees, participation in activities such as commencement and days of service.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience required. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Ability to address large audiences (50+ people) comfortably required. Belief in the power of youth to create positive change. Must have access to reliable transportation. Experience working with students, faculty members, businesses, and nonprofit agencies desirable. Spanish-English bilingual preferred.
Employee Status: Full Time
Hours per Week: 37.5
Number of Weeks: 52
Mount Wachusett Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
The following documents are required:
2. Cover Letter
Deadline Date: 7/25/17
Candidates may be subject to employment screening to include both a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) request and a Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI).