Department of Anesthesiology
Biostatistics and Clinical Outcomes group
The Biostatistics and Clinical Outcomes group in the Department of Anesthesiology at Duke University Medical Center is currently recruiting a Master's-level biostatistician with experience in clinical research.
He/she will collaborate with faculty investigators, fellows, and residents in Duke's Anesthesiology department on the analysis of clinical, epidemiological, and basic science projects.
Duties include preparing sample size estimates and statistical analysis plans, managing data needed for the analysis, selecting appropriate statistical methods, conducting and summarizing analyses, and preparing summary reports to collaborators and materials (statistical methods, tables and figures) for presentations and publications.
Good communication skill is required to interact with clinical investigators and statistical colleagues in the same group. Projects include both short term collaborations and long term research efforts.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meet with investigators to discuss their projects, and provide guidance for study design or answers to statistical questions.
- Work independently or with a senior statistician to develop statistical analysis plan, appropriate data management plan, methodological issues and statistical analysis methods. Select appropriate statistical models and conduct statistical analyses utilizing SAS, R and other statistical packages.
- Prepare comprehensive summary reports and assist investigators in the interpretation of statistical results. Provide detailed documentation for each project.
- Work with investigators closely to prepare statistical-related components for scientific presentations, conference abstracts, manuscripts, study protocols, and grant proposals. This includes the preparation of tables, figures, and graphs depicting research results.
- Participate in Biostatistics group meetings, share knowledge and new analysis methods/tools with members in the Biostatistics group, and perform other related duties.
- Programming and Data Set Documentation
- Design analysis data set specifications.
- Write own SAS and/or R code, find errors, corrects, and validates output and results
- Perform complex programming such as complicated SAS procedures and options, SAS macros, and R functions.
- Program with increasing efficiency.
- Demonstrate understanding of clinical data used in each project
- Maintain excellent documentation for each project.
- Proficiency with SAS (including macro language, ODS,and graphics) and R
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and familiarity with Access and SQL
- Ability for data management and formatting for standard statistical software
- Strong communication (verbal and written) skills with statisticians and non-statisticians alike, particularly clinical investigators
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines (e.g grant application, conference)
- Strong documentation skills to generate detailed documentation for abstracts for each project
- Initiative to acquire new skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects and for multiple faculty concurrently.
- Previous collaborative research experience in an Academic Medical Center a plus.
2681 BIOSTATISTICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a minimum of a Master's degree in (bio)statistics or related field and no relevant experience, or a bachelors degree in (bio)statistics or related field and 2 years relevant experience, or an equivalent combination or relevant education and/or work experience.
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE Prior contribution to analysis of research projects, a working knowledge of SAS, and solid command of the English language is required.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.