Executive Chef / Kitchen Manager
Title: Executive Chef / Kitchen Manager
Reports to: Restaurant Manager & Owners
Summary of Position:
Directly responsible for all kitchen functions for a 84 seat restaurant with 24 exterior patio seats including food ordering and purchasing, preparation and maintenance of quality standards; sanitation and cleanliness; training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control and sanitation and cleanliness. Concept is a casual American restaurant. Must have an outgoing, energetic and enthusiastic attitude and be customer-service oriented. Eventual transition to Executive Chef / General Manager if qualifications and work ethic are displayed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Effectively and efficiently manage the day-to-day operations of the kitchen by following the best practices of the company and brand equity standards to ensure guest satisfaction and profit maximization.
- Manage day-to-day operations during scheduled shifts that include daily decision-making, team member support, guest interaction, scheduling, and planning, while upholding standards product quality and cleanliness.
- Increase sales by ensuring guest satisfaction and prompt problem solving.
- Ensure adherence to company cash handling and payment processing procedures.
- Conduct line checks in accordance with company standards.
- Responsible for the selection, on boarding, and retention of team members through motivation recognition coaching and development.
- Responsible for managing people - delegation, hiring, training, coaching, developing, and team-building the kitchen staff.
- Managing vendor relationships and negotiating the best financial arrangements for the restaurant.
- Attends all scheduled weekly management meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Must comply with all reasonable requests made by management.
- Ability to multi-task and manage workflows on deadline.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Ability to plan a theme menu for special events for 20 - 30 people, 2 - 3 times per month.
- Commitment to quality service, farm to table menu with fresh, quality ingredients, and food knowledge.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Assists with the development of recipes, menu planning, cooking procedures, and food presentation. Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served. Demonstrate a commitment to freshly prepared foods, food presentation, and superior food quality. Ensures all recipes, food preparations, and presentations meet the restaurant's specifications and commitment to quality.
- Work with restaurant manager and Owners to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes prior to cooking according to portion sizes and recipe specifications, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Prepares items for broiling, grilling, frying, sauteing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Verifies that kitchen staff follow all recipes and portions sizes correctly.
- Prepares written prep lists for all kitchen personnel and assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Prepare end of shift reports including daily labor food control and daily sales.
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Maintain food quality standards for the restaurant. Oversee all phases of food procurement, production, and service including inventory and ordering, storage and rotation, food preparation, recipe adherence, plate presentation, and service.
- Ability to managing all food related costs associated with the menu. In addition, MUST be able to calculate menu food costs based upon each individual ingredient and assign a final menu price of each menu item.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes, and waste control procedures including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant's receiving policies and procedures.
- Responsible for sourcing and managing all food inventory, ordering, negotiating pricing of product.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen by maintaining two specific standards passing Health Department audits with a 90% or better and training staff on proper sanitation guidelines.
- Responsible for compliance with OSHA local health and safety codes as well as company Safety and Security policies. Emphasize safety and sanitation in security awareness and ensure that team members are properly trained to create a safe work environment. Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Provide safety training in first aid, CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials. Responsible to maintain a safe, orderly, and clean kitchen.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant's preventative maintenance programs.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, saut burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Performs routine self-inspections of operations, looks for compliance with health department and quality standards.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points. Ensure kitchen and storage areas are kept clean and organized.
- Optimize profit by scheduling labor efficiently in ordering food and supplies to maintain appropriate inventory, portion correctly, minimize waste, etc.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met. Supervise and manage attendance and time records of team members.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Exercise good judgment and decision-making in escalating concerns and aggressively resolving issues.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
- Immediately communicate equipment problems practice good preventive maintenance on store assets.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment is in working order. Understanding of proper use of major kitchen equipment, including stoves, refrigeration, slicer, knives, and warmers.
- Must comply with all reasonable requests made by management. Able to take direction from business owner.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices including daily cleaning and kitchen maintenance with periodic deep cleaning.
- Customer-Service: Kitchen managers may have to interact with customers. Must be friendly and courteous in order to help keep customers coming back.
- Attention to Detail: Kitchen managers must be able to keep their eyes on a lot of elements: food standards, costs, safety, etc. all at the same time, must be able to multi-task.
- Leadership: Must be a leader in the back of house, rallying the team during heavy shifts, resolving conflicts and getting the job done.
- Management Skills: Not only dealing with food, but also dealing with costs, pricing, creating work schedules and more.
- Strong Organizational Skills: Keeping work schedules, shipments, cleaning schedules, etc. organized is crucial to the job.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Dealing with employee conflict, irate customers and wrong stock orders is standard and is part of the job. Ability to come up with a satisfactory solution quickly is a required skill.
- Speaking Skills: Ability to accurately and easily communicate standards and cooking methods to staff, give orders and speak with customers clearly.
- Ability to accurately calculate figures and amounts and perform mathematical functions applicable to business needs.
- Ability to work under pressure in a time sensitive environment and work well in fast-paced setting.
- Provides professional leadership and direction to kitchen personnel.
- Must enjoy hosting others. Must be comfortable initiating conversations and creating a fun environment with our guests.
- Ensure the environment in the restaurant supports our core values of honor, integrity, seeking knowledge, and having fun.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities: Visioning, Decisive Judgment, Leading Change, Business Acumen, Driving for Results, Guest Focus, Integrity, Resilience, Leading Teams, Coaching and Developing Others, and Relationship Management.
- Possess strong decision-making skills.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- POS programming and report generation.
- College or culinary training with good level of cooking and production experience. Bachelor Degree preferred, however minimum Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in culinary training.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fry cook, expediter, and Executive/Head Chef.
- At least 1-year experience in a similar capacity.
- Computer literate: Use of basic software programs including Microsoft Outlook and Word.
- ServSafe: Serve Safe certified or other recognized hygiene qualification required.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel and guests.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 10 hours).
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including opening, closing, weekends, and holidays. Must be willing to work a minimum of 55 hours per week on average. Salary based position.
- Familiar with the use of the following: Copier, computer, calculator, printer, cash register, POS system, etc.
- Background: Subject to background check & drug testing.
- Appearance: Must have exceptional hygiene and grooming habits and have the ability to meet grooming and appearance requirements and attendance guidelines.
- Driver's License: Must hold a valid driver's license.
- It is the restaurant's policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, age, medical condition, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by law.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of the individual in this position. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the work load, gain additional experience to further the individual's professional development. The position description is subject to change by the company as the needs and requirements of the position change.
- Non-smoker preferred.
Local casual restaurant specializing in farm to table & local farmer's market products as a portion of the menu.
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:24:47 PDT