Director of Research Institute / Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor
Posting Number FAC00021PO17 Classification Title Assistant Professor Internal Title Director of Research Institute / Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor Campus Columbia 01 College/Division College of Education Department College of Education Advertised Salary Range Commensurate with experience Location of Vacancy Part/Full Time Full Time Hours per week 37.5 Hours per year 2080 Position Category Full-time Equivalent (FTE) Basis 12 months Work County Richland 40 Tenure Information Non-Tenure-Track Job Search Category Faculty-Non-Tenured
The University of South Carolina is a premiere flagship research institution in South Carolina and one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report. With more than 46,000 students on eight campuses, the University of South Carolina is a leader in improving the lives of individuals in South Carolina and around the world. Founded in 1801, the University of South Carolina employs almost 14,000 people. At the University of South Carolina, our employees include some of the brightest minds and most accomplished professionals in the world. The diversity of thought and active engagement of our colleagues makes for a dynamic and interesting work environment. The University has been named a best place to work, and a big part of that is the people. Our diverse faculty and staff embody a dedication to serve our students, so that a job becomes a passion with no limits.
Benefits for Temporary Positions
The University of South Carolina (UofSC), through the State of SC and Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA), offers state employees a valuable benefits package, including health and life insurance, generous paid leave and retirement programs. To learn more about UofSC benefits, access the benefits section on the Applicant Portal.
Advertised Job Summary
The College of Education at the University of South Carolina invites applications for the newly-created position of Director of the Research Institute at the University of South Carolina. The successful applicant will assume responsibility for developing the institute's organizational infrastructure to facilitate high-quality, interdisciplinary research, focused on pursuing and securing grant funding to support research efforts. The Director will oversee grant-related processes, activities, and supports of several College of Education-based Centers that comprise the institute. In addition, the Research Institute Director will promote innovative research collaborations across Research Centers, Departments and Colleges within the university, and will facilitate community-based research partnerships with schools, agencies, private industry, and other organizations outside the university. The Director will provide mentorship to faculty and research teams in the form of professional development in grantsmanship and will collaborate with the Associate Dean for Research & Innovation to develop and maintain an active three-year orientation program for new faculty members that will support and encourage research, innovation, and creative scholarly endeavors. This individual also will serve as the College's liaison to research units within the university and to external funding agencies, communicating information about innovative research nationally and to key constituencies. The Research Institute Director will work closely with the College's Dean, the Associate Dean for Research & Innovation, and the Director of Grants and Contracts to facilitate the preparation and timely submission of funding proposals. The Director will maintain his or her own research program, including funded research through grants and contracts.
The University of South Carolina is the only Carnegie-designated “highest research activity” R1 doctoral university in South Carolina. The College of Education is nationally known for research, innovation and scholarly work in education, policy, social justice, and professional development that combines theoretical depth with practical impact. College research includes international focus and collaborations. The Research Institute Director will be joining the College leadership team at a time of optimism and opportunities for growth. A new faculty-developed strategic plan stresses “prominence through innovative and impactful research” as one of six key areas, and specifically focuses on “increasing research productivity” as an immediate goal.
• An earned doctorate from an accredited institution in one of the disciplines of the college, or a related field;
• Has held or currently holds a research or tenured-track faculty position as associate or full professor;
• Has served as a director or assistant director of research centers or programs within an academic setting (including universities and/or medical centers);
• Demonstrated experience in developing a research center;
• Experience and success in obtaining external funding, including a demonstrated record of grant-funded research as PI or Co-PI;
• Served as a reviewer on a grant review panel for a federal funding agency;
• Evidence of an established record of mentorship for faculty, including having served as director or co-director of scholarship that includes grantsmanship;
• Has held faculty positions in multiple institutional settings, such as universities and medical centers;
• Evidence of knowledge and ability to foster interdisciplinary research collaborations, together with a desire to build a collaborative spirit within the college and across participating Centers;
• Has experience teaching grant-writing courses for doctoral students and/or post-doctoral fellows;
• Knowledge and appreciation of multiple types of research/creative activity (including multiple paradigms);
• A demonstrated understanding of research/extramural funding governing policies;
• A commitment to serving diverse constituencies in a shared governance environment;
• Successful supervisory experience;
• Excellent written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills;
• A desire to work in a team-based, dynamic environment.
• Currently, a PI or Co-PI of federally-funded research;
• Demonstrated experience in designing and leading new initiatives or programs to advance the mission of a research center or institute;
• Successful experience in an academic administrative position (e.g., as a director or assistant center director, program director, etc.);
• Experience including budget management and supervising professional staff;
• Evidence of being a creative thinker, and an appreciation of interdisciplinary research.
Posting Detail Information
Desired Start Date Job Open Date 07/07/2017 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Conditions for Eligibility
Application materials accepted online include: (1) a letter of application that addresses the role of a research institute in an R1 college of education, demonstrates the capacity to serve as a director of a research institute based on previous leadership and faculty mentorship experiences, and provides examples of research interests and achievements that demonstrate preparation and qualification to become a visionary and innovative leader in this environment; (2) a current curriculum vita; (3) list of at least three professional references to include e-mail addresses and phone numbers; (4) a copy of unofficial academic transcript for all degrees earned (official copies will be required of finalists); and (5) two – three sample publications or pieces of scholarly work – please attach as one PDF document. Review of completed applications will begin July 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
Inquiries should be addressed to Dr. Christine DiStefano, Search Committee Chair, email@example.com.Quicklink for Posting http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/16455 EEO Statement
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, veteran status or genetics.
Safety Sensitive or Security Sensitive No
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Supporting Documents
- Writing Sample(s)/Sample Publications
- List of References and Contact Information